Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #1  

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
I need to replace the siding on my Detached 2 car Garage/Workshop. It has that old Bat & Board siding and the Kansas Weather has just destroyed it. What a crappy idea anyway for siding. But looking for suggestions on what to replace it with. It's 2x4 construction on 16" Centers. I'm thinking the LP Smart Siding is probably the way to go but open to suggestions.

Thanks

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #2  
I need to replace the siding on my Detached 2 car Garage/Workshop. It has that old Bat & Board siding and the Kansas Weather has just destroyed it. What a crappy idea anyway for siding. But looking for suggestions on what to replace it with. It's 2x4 construction on 16" Centers. I'm thinking the LP Smart Siding is probably the way to go but open to suggestions.

Thanks

I’m a fan a James Hardie products.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop
The Hardie stuff is nice but crazy expensive for a Detached Garage

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #4  
Right now i would hold off on that as prices are ridiculous on any building materials. That being said i have used the 4x8 sheets of smart siding type products on multiple buildings that are holding up well. They do require painting every 5or6 yrs, Hardee siding is good stuff also , Cheapest would be vinyl.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #5  

Thanks
I’ll be following this thread.

I have a small Alpine style (?) post & beam cabin. The exterior walls are horizontal 2x8 T&G pine with a Vee notch. Large gaps now and would require caulk by many cases I suspect. I’ve had some good experience with factory painted James Hardie lap siding but am wondering about their 4x8 sheet siding for this simple little square house. Sidewalls are only 7.5 feet.

The LP Smart Siding 38 Series right now in Eastern Kansas is about $43 for a 4x8 sheet. Not too bad. Materials are trending down now. I think this is the most cost effective product you can get from what I'm seeing.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #8  
1649887315443.png

LP made some awful wood based siding products in the 80‘s & 90’s. Lawsuits galore nationwide. I got burned badly so I’m wary of them. The price of the Hardie above doesn’t look too bad. Run some 1“ x 2” trim on the seams and in between to dress it up a bit.

My house built in 1996 had the supposed bad LP Siding on it. They came out to do a claim. Cut a hole in a piece of my siding to send off. A couple months went by and they sent me a check for like $25. I think the siding and lawsuit was both a scam for someone besides the consumer to make some money. With that said. That was a looong time ago and this project is on a budget, my budget. Almost all new homes use the LP siding here. I think the issues they had 25+ years ago are far behind them

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #10  
I’ll be following this thread.

I have a small Alpine style (?) post & beam cabin. The exterior walls are horizontal 2x8 T&G pine with a Vee notch. Large gaps now and would require caulk by many cases I suspect. I’ve had some good experience with factory painted James Hardie lap siding but am wondering about their 4x8 sheet siding for this simple little square house. Sidewalls are only 7.5 feet.

4x8 sheets heavy to work with. Lap siding easier for the solo worker. I've done both.