Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #21  
Any other Pros and Cons of the two? I would be hiring out the install so labor cost will be a factor. The 4 x 8 sheets just seem to be a ‘cleaner’ option. Fewer exposed seams or overlaps for long term maintenance (cleaning & painting) and a simpler install. Am I missing something?

Sorry if I’m hijacking the OP’s thread.

Doing full sheets you have to be careful with the edge. I always used a galvanized twist nail. I cut the head off one and used it in a drill to pre drill holes while sheet is on the horses. Just edges mainly. Some may use screws on it. If your studs don't work out, put an edge stud in. You may go over your old siding. I don't know. If it's board and batten, tear off the batten strips and fasten Hardy to the boards. Cut it tight, caulk if out and paint. It'll be there.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #22  
I need to replace the siding on my Detached 2 car Garage/Workshop. It has that old Bat & Board siding and the Kansas Weather has just destroyed it. What a crappy idea anyway for siding. But looking for suggestions on what to replace it with. It's 2x4 construction on 16" Centers. I'm thinking the LP Smart Siding is probably the way to go but open to suggestions.

Thanks
Crappy? Has worked for hundreds of years. Built many barns & garages with it. Its all in the planning, wood species, wood treatment & installation. Board & battens can easily last 50+ years. It may be more of a case that yours was installed poorly and is giving you a bad impression of a well proven system.
Do you have access to cypress? Its a beautiful wood that needs no treatment, unless you want to treat it or paint it. Extremely durable, its a wood that grows in water. I have used cypress board & batten siding on dozens of barns & garages. Holds up extremely well. Not outrageously expensive. Cuts, handles & nails very nice.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #23  
Crappy? Has worked for hundreds of years. Built many barns & garages with it. Its all in the planning, wood species, wood treatment & installation. Board & battens can easily last 50+ years. It may be more of a case that yours was installed poorly and is giving you a bad impression of a well proven system.
Do you have access to cypress? Its a beautiful wood that needs no treatment, unless you want to treat it or paint it. Extremely durable, its a wood that grows in water. I have used cypress board & batten siding on dozens of barns & garages. Holds up extremely well. Not outrageously expensive. Cuts, handles & nails very nice.
Cypress is almost unobtainable now in most parts of the country. Few places still harvest cypress. I saw a cypress harvesting project in Florida awhile back, but it’s a protected species in many southern states now.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #25  
Cypress is almost unobtainable now in most parts of the country. Few places still harvest cypress. I saw a cypress harvesting project in Florida awhile back, but it’s a protected species in many southern states now.
We have an lumber yard dedicated to selling it. Makes great board & bat. Great durability with no treatment required.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #26  
We have an lumber yard dedicated to selling it. Makes great board & bat. Great durability with no treatment required.
It is a great wood. I just pointed out that it’s hard to find and dwindling.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop
Yeah, pretty sure I wont be doing Cypress or any other Board and Batten. Don't like the look or the cost

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #28  
I keep equipment in a barn with board & bat siding thats close to 100 years old. Just simple old Eastern Pine.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop
My board and bat was done with Central crap not Eastern Pine