Replacing a cant hook handle

/ Replacing a cant hook handle #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all i have a peavy cant hook, wood is lodged into the metal part and someone cut it flush with the metal. The spike in the front of the hook is still attached. Does anyone know the "proper" way to remove this, i worry that heating will ruin a temper, should i just bash and hope or is there a trick to it.
thanks
forgeblast
ps is there a trick for getting that front spike out of the wood, is it screwed in or just driven in?

/ Replacing a cant hook handle #2  
Hi, I think a peavey and a cant hook are two different but similar tools, if yours has a spike it is probably a peavey. To get the wood out of the metal end I would try to chisel out as much as you can and then drill out the remaining wood piece.
The spike is probably welded to the metal sleeve and is not removable separately (a picture of what you have would help), but yours may be different, take a good look at it.
What you are trying to do is not easy, take your time and you will get it all out. I assume you want to put on a new handle.
Ken

/ Replacing a cant hook handle
ill see if i can get a picture when i get home. It does have the spike, so its a peavey. I didnt know if the spike was welded in or just driven into the handle. Its supposed to warm up tommorrow hopefully i can get it out. thank you

Last edited:
   / Replacing a cant hook handle #4  
when doing this procedure on a shovel handel i just drill out the old wood. once i get a few 1/2" holes drilled i take a chisel and start breaking up whats left and pulling it out with a pair of long nose needle nose plyers.

I heard back from Peavey, they said
The easiest way to get the wood out is to burn it out,either soak it in oil and set it on fire or throw it in a camp fire and burn it out.If you have a long drill you can drill a series of holes until it loosens up.
Sounds like ill try the drill until my paitence is gone, then ill burn it out.

Thanks nice write up. Peavey also said....
"We make some that have the point welded onto the socket but most of them we sell the point is a separate piece. If you have one that is separate, when putting the new handle in you will want to put the socket on the handle first and then drive the point in the end of the handle, which if you purchase from us will be pre drilled."
I must say that the customer service with them is increadable. They got right back to me. I wont hesitate buying from them directly.

Well i drilled holes in it dumped in some oil and let it sit about an hour. Then when i was burning papers i threw it in and put some pallet wood on top. by the time the fire was out the wood was gone from it. I am sanding and spraypainting it now.
thanks all for the help.