Replacing the generator - suggestions?

/ Replacing the generator - suggestions? #1  

JFoy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Had a Generac 3300 for several years and it did great but ultimately developed an oil leak. Lucky for me, still had two weeks left on the Lowes extended warranty - they opted to just refund my money.

Needs:
240v connector - will back feed the panel via a welder plug.
Dual fuel - gasoline / propane
Minimum 3000 watts
Quality built

Wants:
7000+ watts
Electric start (so the wife can start it)

Concerns:
Mostly clean/steady power so as not to damage newer/modern appliances
Spending too much for rare power outages

Here in the Piedmont area of NC, our outages in the winter come from ice bringing down trees and in the summer, rare outages from hurricanes.

With our new house (mega insulated on slab), I can keep the house at 60F on a space heater.

The Champion Power 3000watt line has all but the 240v outlet. Cost is acceptable Their 7000/8000 watt series has the 240v output but harder to justify the $1000 price tag.

One of my main concerns is quality. Since this would be for power backup, I don't want a surprising failure if I need to use it.

Thoughts / Suggestions?

Thanks,
JFoy

/ Replacing the generator - suggestions? #2  
Electric Generators Direct (dot com) is a very good shopping tool.

/ Replacing the generator - suggestions? #3  
Honda. I wouldn't even consider any other brand.

/ Replacing the generator - suggestions? #4  
Champion hybrid generator - I've got one that puts out less than 5 THD. Like all the other So far, every Champion I've got has been perfectly reliable and easy starting. The list includes 2 generators, a water pump and a log splitter.

I found the generator at Costco

/ Replacing the generator - suggestions? #5  
I have ALWAYS used Honda generators. 100% reliable. In a power outage, you already have the one strike against you - do you need/want a second with a cheap generation that won't start or run correctly. Your choice.........

/ Replacing the generator - suggestions? #6  
I have ALWAYS used Honda generators. 100% reliable. In a power outage, you already have the one strike against you - do you need/want a second with a cheap generation that won't start or run correctly. Your choice.........

EXACTLY CORRECT!

The Honda will cost more, and it will ALWAYS be ready to work, or working, when you want/need it.
I have had a Honda ES6500 for 25+ years.
Wonderful machine!
OHC, liquid cooled, electric start.

/ Replacing the generator - suggestions? #7  
i have a bunch of customers using a variety of brands. I can tell you the Champion dual fuel units are reliable running units. i have many customers that have used them during extended power outages and have had no issues. The Hondas are great, but way over priced. I had a Coleman branded 4,000 watt generator that has run for 20 years...it still runs.

Personally ive seen 2 Predator generators destroy customers electronic items. i wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

I also have a Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt unit that stsarts first pull, and operates great. it was a home depot purchase, and am very happy with it. its 3 years old.

/ Replacing the generator - suggestions? #8  
Check out this one: Firman Generators H08053 Firman - Hybird Series 8000 Watt Electric Start Dual Fuel Generator 49-State

You can also go down in size it you want. I had a trusty Briggs and Stratton for over twenty years, 4500/3000. We only replaced it several years ago with a generac 8500/7000 because we needed the electric start option. I had plenty of problems with the generac and ended up leaving it behind when we sold our home last year. It ran the whole house but was a maintenance PIA, and an unreliable electric starter.

I did some research and chose this Firman last summer. So far I have powered our whole house without an issue. Oil changes look easy. Electric start is smooth, and battery access is much better than the generac. I have only run it on the propane option but I am sure it is fine on gas if you take the standard ethanol storage precautions. It was almost half of what I paid for the generac over seven years ago. I am sure it won't be perfect as nothing made today seems to be, but overall I am very pleased with this generator and Electric Generators direct. Good luck in your shopping.

/ Replacing the generator - suggestions? #9  

My uncle bought one of those after the last FL hurricane. Hasn't had to use it yet...

But the advertising on that site is a bit suspect:

Up to 12 Hours Of Power @ 1/2 Load (8 Gal. Tank or 5 Gal/20 Lb. Tank)
No matter what fuel you use...you're covered in an emergency

A 5 gallon propane tank only holds 4 gallons. And propane only has about 80% the energy that gasoline does per gallon, so a "5 gallon" propane tank is the approximate equivalent of 3.2 gallons of gasoline.

So either they are waaay overstating the propane ability, or are ultra-conservative on the gasoline.