Replacing the Knee

/ Replacing the Knee
Saw my surgeon today. He agreed with everyone else that I have been working with on the knee which is to replace it. He sent the scheduling person into my room to pick a date. He asked how Dec 12th would work and I said fine but if you get a cancellation, please consider me. He then said would Monday work? Whoa! I jumped on it but then he said that we needed clearance from my cardiologist. I have some blockages but they are not getting any worse and I take meds for my BP but that is well controlled also. I had not thought about an issue there and I wished that it had been brought up before but o'well. Turned out that my heart doctor is on vacation so I have to wait until he comes back to the office. The staff felt that I would not need to come in as it has not been that long since my last visit but now it's back to Dec 12th.
I wish you the best ! I'm just now getting somewhat back to normal. Start PT next week.

This stem cell injection was pretty bad. (painful!!!) Caused a lot of inflammation within my knee.
I wasn't allowed to take anything to knock out the inflammation as he (Dr) said this is how the stem cells work.

I'm not so sure if I would have not been better off with replacement.
Dr says the only real way to know is to do a follow up MRI, and you guessed it, Insurance won't pay ! LOL
So, he says time will tell, but studies have shown a very good success rate.

/ Replacing the Knee #62  
kenmac, glad that you have had the treatment and I hope that it works out. I am kind of bummed that going in tomorrow did not work out for me. I keep finding things to do prior to being laid up and I am paying for it nightly. Oh well', it is what it is.

/ Replacing the Knee #63  
Saw my surgeon today. He agreed with everyone else that I have been working with on the knee which is to replace it. He sent the scheduling person into my room to pick a date. He asked how Dec 12th would work and I said fine but if you get a cancellation, please consider me. He then said would Monday work? Whoa! I jumped on it but then he said that we needed clearance from my cardiologist. I have some blockages but they are not getting any worse and I take meds for my BP but that is well controlled also. I had not thought about an issue there and I wished that it had been brought up before but o'well. Turned out that my heart doctor is on vacation so I have to wait until he comes back to the office. The staff felt that I would not need to come in as it has not been that long since my last visit but now it's back to Dec 12th.
I'm scheduled on 12/15. Good luck to the both of us!

/ Replacing the Knee #64  
Been warned I'll need a knee replacements within a few years. So I'm exercising and prepping a bit already. My wife prepared before having both knees done at the same time and she bounced back quickly - following PT & doctor's orders. She played softball a year later. Unfortunately her arthritis got much worse and she had both hips done... Then most of her back fused. Since she has not been able to walk too much for years, she still has the same knee replacements she got in the 90s. But she still says that losing weight and strengthening muscles is the best way to prep. She knows.

/ Replacing the Knee #65  
I had total replacement on left knee 10 yrs ago. Today I say it's the best surgery I've had done.
I had a TERRIBLE recovery. I believe due to scar tissue from previous ACL surgery.
My insurance paid for a nursing home, so I did therapy there. I followed all the instructions...
My range of motion was poor. When I went home I used both bending and straightening braces.
I had hours long muscle cramps. 3 months later the doctor did a maniplulation- put you under ad bend the damn thing... not a crack doctor - Cleveland Clinic.... today I have no pain and walk normal...What worked --- pool therapy. walk, do the exercises, run in a shallow warm pool. Advance to deep pool - using flotation dumbbells - run, peddle, scissor for months. 5-6 days a weeks. Not log each time.. you learn how much is helpful, I'd watch the clock. I went into it determined to walk, it took me to the limit... now I'm good.
Never give up! Elaine

/ Replacing the Knee #67  
Done deal¡ had a spinal tap and an upper and lower nerve block which i was able to watch on the ultrsound screen. Not pleasent bu not bad. Had bad bladder pain perhaps due to the spinal. They had to cath me for that but all better now. Knee pain level is maybe a 2 or 3 at best at least for now. Therapy had me standing with a walker for maybe a minute. I will be in overnight and hope to "escape" tomorrow. No regrets so far.

/ Replacing the Knee #68  
What a coincidence, mine was 5 years ago yesterday.

Happy healing.

/ Replacing the Knee #69  
Thanks, so far, minimal pain but they have had to continue to cath me in order to urinate. Hoping that's from the spinal and has simply yet to wear off

/ Replacing the Knee #70  
Molalla 1, good luck with your op tomorrow. I ended up being cathed three times before i was able to go on my own. Glad about that else i would have been stuck there. The hospital sent in a prescription for oxicotin which i do not really care for. I did not know that untill i was home. Last night was kind of rough but i am down to a maybe 2 or 3 pain wise so i will skip the pills. Now it's on to getting around again