Chipper Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Good Morning,

Lately my interests have turned to yard clean-up and planning the purchase of a decent wood chipper that my BX23S can manage. I'd like some ideas from those that have experience and knowledge of chippers.

- my needs are for something that will handle 3-4 inch trees / limbs, anything with a larger diameter, would become firewood
- I have watched dozens of you-tube videos that feature wood chippers. Some have been very informative ... Messicks, Tractor Time with Tim, Landpride videos etc.
- prefer PTO driven unit, ... I think this is an advantage, but perhaps a completely separate unit is an option
- I am not brand loyal for this attachment, I just want something that will do the job effectively without killing the tractor

thanks for any suggestions.

happy Sunday

Last edited:
   / Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #2  
My 'wood chipper' is a can of diesel and a match. Much cheaper, end result is about the same.

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #3  
   / Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #4  
Woodmaxx TM86H we just got their 1260 self powered chipper and it is very well built.

Aaron Z

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please
My 'wood chipper' is a can of diesel and a match. Much cheaper, end result is about the same.

I have the same brand and model at this time :) looking to upgrade, so that I can use the woodchips elsewhere than in the ash pile.

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #6  
I've had/have Wallenstein. First the BX42S, now the BX62S. An excellent piece of equipment. ABSOLUTELY no problems with either model.

Either the BX36S or the BX52S. The BX36S would be a better fit.

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #7  
Whatever you get, make sure it has hydraulic infeed so you dont have to fight it to load branches into it.

Aaron Z

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #8  
Whoa - there Aaron. Neither of my Wally chippers has had hydraulic in-feed. I think the better answer - determine what you will be chipping. If it will be small trees, straight branches - save yourself a whole lot of $$$ and get manual feed. Likewise - if it will be twisted trees and twisted branches - then hydraulic in-feed is probably the way to go.

The ONLY trees I have here on the 80 are Ponderosa pine. I will - fell - drag to pile - chip - 900 to 1200 small pines every spring. I NEVER remove a single limb. Into the chipper they go - butt first. They range in size from 1" to 6" on the butt cut.

Been doing this thinning for the last twelve years.

Rather than hydraulic in-feed - - wish I had a couple young bucks every spring to help with the - drag to pile - operation.

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #9  
Whatever you get, make sure it has hydraulic infeed so you dont have to fight it to load branches into it.

Aaron Z

I agree on the hydraulic in-feed.... I have a Wallenstein BX62R... great chipper... zero issues... great piece of equipment...

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #10  
Whatever you get, don't waste your money on power infeed. It's simply not needed for most home users. I've been using a manual infeed chipper for over twenty years, and now at age 78 I just finished up this year's windfalls with no issue. Maybe when I pass 90?