Restricting the top link… advice?

/ Restricting the top link… advice? #1  

S854

Silver Member
Tractor
‘67 MF 135 Deluxe / ‘22 Kioti CK2610 HST/Bad Boy ZT Elite 54”
I know…I’m beating a dead horse…

I see many MANY threads referring to placing a restriction in the line… what I can’t find is the “5 buck” orifice every thread refers to…

Quite a few suppliers sell a simple, inline orifice (which would be my preference) but I’ve seen them as high a $75 for a 1/2” NPT orifice… outrageous!

I’ve check Surplus Center (recommended in many threads)… all they currently carry are the adjustable style… I don’t need that ability…

So… I’ve found a “restricted swivel”, available through ACE, but I’m wondering if it does essentially the same thing as a “one piece orifice”… I don’t need the swivel as my restriction will be screwed directly into the male part of my quick connect…

/ Restricting the top link… advice? #2  
Its fairly easy to convert an existing fitting to restricted if you or a friend have a metal lathe. Its a matter of making a press fit plug drilled to about 1/32" diameter or slightly larger depending on cylinder bore size. Probably could be just a slip fit if it is captured when the fitting is assembled.

/ Restricting the top link… advice?
Unfortunately I don’t have access to a metal lathe… one would be handy for so many applications…

Yes on the Apache… albeit with a 1/2” thread…

Depending on the supplier there’s either a 1/32” or 1/16” restriction… which one did you get?

/ Restricting the top link… advice? #5  
1/2" hose and fittings are larger than you need for a hydraulic top link. 1/4" would be fine.

If yours has reducers after the quick connects to get the standard 1/2" ag connector down to a more reasonable size hose, I'd put the restrictor in the smaller diameter part after the reducers.

/ Restricting the top link… advice? #6  
I use the 1/16 I also have some that are jic to jic I found them on eBay a while ago. All my hoses are 1/4: my tractor max flow is 7.5 gpm so 1/4 is fine for everything and cheaper.

/ Restricting the top link… advice?
I had the dealer install the top n tilt prior to delivery… they used 3/8 hoses with a 1/2” male end…

/ Restricting the top link… advice? #8  
I had the dealer install the top n tilt prior to delivery… they used 3/8 hoses with a 1/2” male end…
Taixin Hydraulic High Pressure Ball Valve 1/2'' NPT 5800PSI Hydraulic Valve Shut-Off KHB Hydraulic Ball Valve https://a.co/d/itaXUNw

/ Restricting the top link… advice? #10  
3/8 is fine. If it was me I'd put the restrictor in the 3/8 hose just to reduce the weight and bulk of the stack of adaptors and fittings.

A ball valve is the wrong fitting for this as it does not allow for fine control of the flow. Either a fixed orifice restrictor or a flow control valve like 3/8 NPT 8 GPM Prince WFC-600 In-Line Flow Control | Prince Mfg | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com

That one is one way which may or may not be right, depending on what's needed. I have one on my loader to reduce bucket flop and three on my backhoe to make up for valves with poor control.

This one is two way: 3/8 NPT 8 GPM Needle Valve Wolverine by Prince Mfg WNV-600 | Wolverine by Prince Mfg | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com