Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #321  
This thread has taken an interesting turn. Retired for some time; Ready to escape winters here and life happens. We now have custody of our 4 & 7 year-old granddaughters, and have applied for guardianship. I'm not going anywhere for a LONG time.... Did NOT see this one coming :)

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #322  
The S&P 500 (including dividends) returned 326% from 2005-2020. I think the S&P 500 is a better yardstick as itç—´ more diversified and is what most market investors utilize.

MoKelly

What about the 50 year? Outperformed S&P
More diversified? I agree-S&P more diversified

If we do hit a year or 2 of hyperinflation, and the markets crash, those S&P gains will be cut in half. Gold will increase 50%

Attachments

• 886CB225-163B-4051-AD0D-CF6A2A1B96BA.jpeg
    886CB225-163B-4051-AD0D-CF6A2A1B96BA.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 63
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #323  
What about the 50 year? Outperformed S&P
More diversified? I agree-S&P more diversified

If we do hit a year or 2 of hyperinflation, and the markets crash, those S&P gains will be cut in half. Gold will increase 50%

Hyperinflation in the USA would not be good. None of us have ever lived through hyperinflation.

According to Zach’s Research, stocks would rise in price just like everything else during hyperinflation.

I have no idea as I’ve never experienced hyperinflation.

MoKellyIMG_1143.JPG

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #324  
In 1971, Nixon declared a state of emergency due to runaway inflation, and instituted by executive order, a wage and price freeze. No one could get a raise and no store could raise price, even groceries & restaurants. I don't remember what the stack market was doing because I wasn't in the market at the time.

In 1980, mortgage rates hit 18% for the best borrowers. I was one of them.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #325  
In 1971, Nixon declared a state of emergency due to runaway inflation, and instituted by executive order, a wage and price freeze. No one could get a raise and no store could raise price, even groceries & restaurants. I don't remember what the stack market was doing because I wasn't in the market at the time.

In 1980, mortgage rates hit 18% for the best borrowers. I was one of them.

I was just graduating college in 1980. I can remember those days.

The only thing positive were CD rates.

MoKellyIMG_1144.JPG

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #326  
Bought first property at this time with a 13.5% mortgage...folks thought I had lost my mind but I penciled it out... as rates dropped so did mortgage with no cost refi and as rates dropped value increased.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned
This thread has taken an interesting turn. Retired for some time; Ready to escape winters here and life happens. We now have custody of our 4 & 7 year-old granddaughters, and have applied for guardianship. I'm not going anywhere for a LONG time.... Did NOT see this one coming :)

I have seen this happen to a couple of coworkers and wishing you the best of luck with your grandchildren. One of them is still working at 67 and family is doing well.

Yes this has turned into how to invest in lieu of the original thread title and needs it's own thread. There were a lot of good responses coming and the one that sticks with me is "have something to retire to."

Great day all!

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned
I could not find a SS calculator that I liked for age comparisons so I made my own for "Dick" ad "Jane". Most people will be in their late 70's before cumulative earnings even out when comparing SS at 62, 65, 67, and 70.

Dick and Jane SS Calculator.png

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #329  
I could not find a SS calculator that I liked for age comparisons so I made my own for "Dick" ad "Jane". Most people will be in their late 70's before cumulative earnings even out when comparing SS at 62, 65, 67, and 70.

View attachment 684806

That's an interesting table, and demonstrates what I've been wondering for years.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #330  
Regarding working from home. I did it for 30 some years. I was on straight commission. My guys also worked from their homes, straight commish!

I Read a while back some gal took over a big tech co, not HP but similar. She came in and immediately put a stop to most work from home. Her argument was that people don't work as hard or accomplish as much. Straight commission puts an end to that! Not sure how to implement that.

I just saw on the morning news.....a billboard somewhere. In 20 years we will have a generation that was home schooled by day drinkers.