Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #592  
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #595  
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #598  
You are correct. She gets Medicaid not Medicare. The SS all I know is she gets some sort of income, more than enough to live on since she has no rent, utilities, etc.
Money left over paid for their vacation.
I'll be talking to my friend this afternoon and find out what that money is called.
I was writing quickly, just trying to make a point. The gist is she gets free things, and a money surplus.
I just got off the phone with Ca. friend who's MIL gets all the free stuff. He said it took lots of time, lots of paperwork, etc. but it is SS she receives. She had to get citizenship but being poor and at her age everything is free.
It makes no sense to me working and paying into SS all those years, then someone from another country never working here getting all those perks.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #599  
I learned a valuable lesson from both of my parents, which didn't make sense when I was younger, but makes more sense now as I'm older.

The lesson?

Don't worry about what other people do, worry about what YOU do.

Anyone with half a brain should not rely on social security (the government) to have a great life after you retire, that's only common sense, even back in the 80's...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #600  
I just got off the phone with Ca. friend who's MIL gets all the free stuff. He said it took lots of time, lots of paperwork, etc. but it is SS she receives. She had to get citizenship but being poor and at her age everything is free.
It makes no sense to me working and paying into SS all those years, then someone from another country never working here getting all those perks.
I just pulled my info from SS.GOV; started paying taxes when I was 15, been paying for the last 48 years. I will still be paying when I turn 66.8 months old for "full" retirement payments. If I live for 20 years past that, maybe get new gubment knee replacements, I should come out even... :oops: