Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #261  
I think most of us feel that way. I can’t see moving just to chase tax savings in other locations. Some of those savings that may illusory and be offset by higher real estate, etc…

In my case the move would be partly to get closer to wife’s family, to help as MIL gets older. Neither of us has family in this area. What will be hard is leaving great friends and neighbors, and the house I built myself.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #262  
True. For a long term investment time frame. I did that for 30+ years and it’s worked out well. Now that I’m closer to retirement and needing those funds, I’m not so enthusiastic about short term losses.
If you have saved up enough money that you can retire with your portfolio in nonvolatile investments, then that works great. For others, the options are to accept some additional risk or keep working. I find that it helps to keep a portion of the investments in cash and consider the remainder to be a long-term investment. During a market down turn (like 2020), I know that I can ride it out for a couple of years or so before I have to make a hard decision about what to sell at a loss.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #263  
I have enough of my 401K in cash to pay off all of my debts; the rest is in stocks. I hope to be able to leave my current job in 24 months when I am 65, but will still have to work enough to cover food, other necessities, and playing. By then I should be debt free and don’t plan to touch my 401K for 5 years after that.
That’s the plan now anyways...

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #264  
If you have saved up enough money that you can retire with your portfolio in nonvolatile investments, then that works great. For others, the options are to accept some additional risk or keep working. I find that it helps to keep a portion of the investments in cash and consider the remainder to be a long-term investment. During a market down turn (like 2020), I know that I can ride it out for a couple of years or so before I have to make a hard decision about what to sell at a loss.
My investments are only intended to pay off my mortgage and all debt (plus tax penalties). We will live on some savings and 4 monthly checks: my pension, my wife’s pension, and both social security income. These total one full time salary and more disposable income than currently because the significant debts will be paid off.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #265  
My son goes out on a lot of dates, but says nothing clicks with them. He did see one for a few months.
He’s picky.
Dating is no way to start a relationship. My wife and I were friends for three years before we ever had our first date.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #266  
Property tax in Texas around 2%, 7th highest in country, or something close. Real drag.
- Based on appraised values, if they can’t get their tax rate adjusted how they want it, magically properties are worth more and they get their money. Bit of a scam.

Personal truck/car registration always less than $100 for personal auto, must pay 6.25% on new vehicles when first registered.

No personal property tax unless used for business in any way.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #267  
I had what I call my Pretirement! I spent my post college years living my dreams. Ski bumming, raft guiding, international travel, living in a van down by the river. I would not trade it for anything. IF it means I have to work an extra 10 years, so be it. I would not have been able to do a lot of the crazy crap I did on many of those adventures in my twilight years. That being said, at 47 years old I am not in awful shape for retirement. I have zero hopes for retiring in my 50s. But so be it, 60 is the new 50 anyways!
Sounds like what I did.
I spent my post college years traveling the US for about 20 years and the world for the rest. Most of it was in hotels for 2 to 3 weeks at a time, with weekends off. I was a research scientist and an Army trainer. I got to fly in helicopters to ground truth image analysis and just to access remote places. For the last 20 years most of my job was a trainer. The student population was almost always young bright college age guys and gals. A great joy to be around. Only retired because of my wife's health and my retirement pay was getting near the max (80% of high 3).

For all of you young workers - get a job you enjoy. If you want to travel the world (which I wanted to) the Army/Navy/Marines is a great place to start.
There were many times in a foreign land that my coworkers and I wondered how (and exclaimed our thankfullness for) we got such great jobs.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #268  
Money is not the only factor in retirement planning. When we bought our house in 1994, one of the attractions was that it was a single story ranch style with no steps. My wife and I both had parents who owned a 3-story house that became impractical and unusable as they became elderly.

We have since remodeled the master bedroom and master bath to be wheelchair accessible, not that we need it. It's there. We paid off the mortgage in 2008, and have spent big bucks on upgrades including insulation, doors, windows, upgraded HVAC, plumbing, and a new shop. Not only are those assets nonvolatile, they make living cheaper. Our electric bill is actually lower than it was 25 years ago, and electricity is our only utility bill.

Watching housing prices go insane in recent years has brought home the importance of locking in costs before retirement. As far as money goes, I favor the "lots of socks" technique. Stocks, bonds, tax sheltered account, metals, antiques, art, real estate, offshore investments, and even cash. The cash sock is shrinking rapidly thanks to inflation. I have faith that a recession will be along eventually, when cash will once again be king.

I try hard to never buy something for what it's worth. Pickings have been pretty slim since the Fed started spewing money with a fire hose in 2009, but the spigot looks to run dry soon. There's nothing like people trying to raise cash to put great deals on the market. A deep recession is a great time to build an asset portfolio.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #269  
My investments are only intended to pay off my mortgage and all debt (plus tax penalties). We will live on some savings and 4 monthly checks: my pension, my wife’s pension, and both social security income. These total one full time salary and more disposable income than currently because the significant debts will be paid off.
Congratulations! Two pensions in one family is rare these days. (y)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #270  
A handicap accessible house is another reason we are considering moving. If we stay here I need bed and handicap bath added to 1st floor. I was already in a wheelchair half of 2019 and I had a temporary bed in our family room, and had to scoot up stairs on my butt to get a bath. Fortunately I’m walking again.