Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #272  
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #273  
This discussion is moving too fast for me to keep up. :ROFLMAO:

Which brings up another point. The nearest town to me has Help Wanted signs on just about every business. Yet there are people standing on street corners, begging. WHY?
They are on the corner begging because they have a criminal record and/or drug drink issues and they can make lots of tax free money working part time begging. Some, just like the lifestyle. They have no boss. They "work" when they want or need too. They don't have to do what others tell them to do....

Years ago I do some volunteer work with the Salvation Army during the bell ringing season. Some, not all, but some of the bell ringers are PAID to ring bells. I think the Salvation Army is trying to help these people with a "job." I was told their best, i.e., he brought in the most donations, bell ringer was a homeless guy. I guess he was a professional at it since he did it for himself as well as the Salvation Army. While he was getting paid to ring the bell, he could have made more money if he was begging for himself yet he was still helping the Salvation Army. :unsure: The Salvation Army tried to give this guy a place to live, he was living in a tent, but he refused. He would not take work the Salvation Army offered, other than bell ringing. He LIKED how he was living. He did not want to be tied down in any way.

Decades ago, when begging was not as big as it is now, I heard of a beggar that had a very nice apartment, decent furniture, TV, and stereo.

For years before the lock down, I would see the same people begging on the corners. Same Time. Same Place. Same People. One guy had a cane and he would work that cane. Just lean on it and look like he was in pain and exhausted. One day, I saw him walking off his corner at the end of his "shift" and it was a miracle! You could see how well he walked! He had been HEALED! I guess all of the money in his pocket made him lighter on his feet. Never could figure out if he was walking to get on a bus or to where he had parked his car.

Some of the beggars are in bad shape and need help. The help is there for them. There is a reason they are living under a bridge. :confused:

The people I see out there day after day are working their job.

Later,
Dan

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #274  
I was frustrated one day when a beggar ask for money -

My reply "Why don't you look for some work".

His reply "Taking money from you is work."

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #275  
Dating is no way to start a relationship. My wife and I were friends for three years before we ever had our first date.
Good advice. Determine if you like them before you fall in love with them.

Successful marriage is key to better retirement finances the wife and I were told by one rep of a retirement planning firm about 7-8 years ago at her place of work.

Since then I have noticed more articles on that subject.

Population decline in developed countries is probably the largest risk to retirement funding long-term.

Retirement planning may become one of a couples best or worse financial moves in their life time.

Horses can be important in retirement on many levels for some but man that requires some finance planning I learning. On the plus side they can encourage activity in the retirement years. :)

Last edited:

This is something I need to get up to speed on before I turn 73.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #279  
To each their own, I guess.

My wife and I dated 6 years before we got married.
My mom and dad dated 6 weeks before they got married.

Both seemed to work out well. (y) (y)
On my wife's side of the family, we had a double 50th Wedding Anniversary party for her parents and her aunt and uncle. At her parents wedding, the best man was her dad's brother. The maid of honor was her mom's cousin. The maid of honor was engaged to be married before the wedding, but she met the best man and they *really* got along well! Within a couple of months, she was married to the best man, instead of her fiancé.

That doesn't sound like the beginning of a long successful marriage, but there you go!

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #280