Returning batteries for warranty claim

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #91  
Hello, in charging a battery that is depleted, you really need to have an alternator output of 14 to 14.5 volts. A 13.8 volt output will keep you going if the battery doesn't become depleted. ie... sitting too long or any other reason that causes lost charge.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #92  
900CCA NAPA “Legend” Batteries dated 11/23 are at 12V and 700 CCA.

In 50* temps, they don’t have enough a$$ left to turn tractor over, so I took them back to NAPA.
NAPA dealer says “leave them overnight and we will test CCA tomorrow after long charge”.

They hook a NAPA tester up to it now and it says 12V 702CCA on one and 12V and 698CCA on the other.

I’m sure an overnight charge will bring them back to life, but will it last?

I’ve had to jump them a couple times and after tractor is running, makes about 13+ on the voltmeter and theres no electrical system light on.
Batteries don't have any reserve capacity. Tell them that. They are no good no matter what you do to them. I am a wiring expert on farm equipment and anything with DC voltage. I have had to return several this past winter.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #93  
I agree with those leaning towards battery failure and those saying low alternator output. Since lots of other possible causes have been entertained, I would check the alternator belt tension. Some slippage could result in your low voltage (and amperage) output and early demise of your batteries. A loose belt could be a simple issue that is causing two innocent items (batteries and alternator) to be condemmed. Just throwing a possible free solution.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #94  
Greetings,
Two thoughts - - -
1.) Over time I've become a strong advocate of modern 'smart' battery maintainers. (Not the old-fashioned dumb 'trickle chargers'.) They aren't all that expensive compared to a new battery, and they are especially important for equipment that isn't being used frequently.
I have an old '47 Farmall M that doesn't get used all that often, but it is always on an inexpensive low-amperage battery maintainer. The battery is currently 9 years old and seems to be in good shape.
The same holds true for my more modern equipment, even the riding lawn mower. Their batteries are not a problem, even after a long winter storage.
2.) The world needs a good "HOW TO" book on batteries.
There is so much superstitious knowledge and mis-information out there about batteries.
We need a good reference source for practical people - something written by a group of reasonable but knowledgeable authors. A chemist, an engineer, a physicist, a mechanic, a consumer, etc.
If you know of any good references, I'd love to hear about them.

Regards to all.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #95  
I forgot to say, A battery with a 12 volt static voltage is considered almost fully discharged. You can find a chart on the web showing battery voltage and the state of charge

Last edited:
   / Returning batteries for warranty claim #96  
Chart has already been posted earlier by another reader. Not going back rereading post to find the chart.

Thank you to the SOC chart poster. I save the image to print out later.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #97  
If when connected to only the suspect-battery, the starter cranks real slow, or does not crank at all, and then when connected to a jumper battery, the starter behaves properly and starts the tractor, the problem is probably not the starter. If the starter is fudged and drawing too much current, the cable to the starter will get hot smoke and the starting of the engine will be pretty much the same whether a booster-battery is connected or not.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #98  
Seem strange to me that the battery on two pieces of equipment failed simultaneously. The OP stated the engine will turn over and black smoke is coming out the exhaust. I suspect contaminated fuel is playing a part in the no start because it sounds like the engine is turning over or rotating but no start and the battery is discharged trying to start the unit.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #99  
Yeah I'm surprised mine doesn't have 3 batteries. It's an 8.4L diesel. When it's cold, it's a tough crank
You may laugh when I tell you this but back before I retired I have actually jumped off big hi-line bucket trucks with large diesel engines with a fully charged Milwaukee 18 volt battery and a piece of 12/2 romex wire when we were out in the middle of nowhere with minimal access , sometimes just a little extra can get it done.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #100  
Not helpful for your current situation, but next time buy from Costco. Interstate batteries free replacement within 3 years no questions asked
just replaced my 2nd Travelers made by interstate in a year. 1st one only made it 2 months 2nd one lasted 10 months. Tractor Supply replaced them no questions asked but it gets old having to change them out. Does any one make a decent battery any more?