RFID Ignition Lock Anyone?

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #1  

mikester

Elite Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
Recently got a Kubota RTV-XG850 and discovered that the key is identical to my ZTR. Made me think about adding an RFID tag reader to lockout the key switch.

Does anyone here use a similar ignition lock setup?

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #2  
Geared more towards commercial machines, but Messicks just did an interesting video on a new GPS based device that is capable of preventing starting, locating the machine, Geo fencing, and maintenance tracking. I believe they mentioned rtv's but I could be wrong.
It was priced at around $600, and they implied that wiring harness availability for many more machines is on the horizon. I got turned off to the idea when he mentioned that eventually there will be a monthly subscription, and didn't know the amount.

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #3  
Is your worry theft? Or someone "joyriding" since they also have a key?

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #4  
For RFID to work well against theft it needs to be tied in with the CPU. Anything you install after the fact can be removed. You would have to add something that can't easily be removed or even seen otherwise.

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #5  
Just noticed today that the Ford I am driving of a friend, is just telling me, the battery is low in the RFID transmitter for pushbutton start. Me, says. NO THANKS, just one more TRAP and annoyance!

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #6  
Just noticed today that the Ford I am driving of a friend, is just telling me, the battery is low in the RFID transmitter for pushbutton start. Me, says. NO THANKS, just one more TRAP and annoyance!
I don't like the pushbutton start in cars/trucks either, but it seems to be here to stay. Only a matter of time before it becomes standard in off-road vehicles too.
My ATV has a chipped key, but it doesn't require a battery.

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #7  
Recently got a Kubota RTV-XG850 and discovered that the key is identical to my ZTR. Made me think about adding an RFID tag reader to lockout the key switch.

Does anyone here use a similar ignition lock setup?

My two ATV bought in 2009 (Polaris 400HO and 800 EFI) share the same key. Dealer said 'he never seen that before'. It's useful since I can grab any of the two keys and start either one.

My car has a push start. Yes I do have to replace the battery but it lasts several years. I had it died on me once without noticing the low battery warning. Simply pop the hidden key from the FOB, insert it in the steering wheel and press the push start. Took me may be 10 seconds more than usual to start the car.

Added convenience of the transmitter is the auto lock of the doors as you leave and the unlock by just touching the inside of the door handle. These outweigh the 'trouble' of changing a battery every few years for me.

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #8  
No I don't want it. If I could pull out 90% of the sensors and computer crap on my truck/tractor/SxS I would. Once I figured I could turn stuff off with Forscan I went crazy with my truck. Never been so happy as when I got that stupid backup sensor turned off permanently because half the time I have a trailer and if you don't disable it with Forscan every time you turn the key on it turns the alarm back on and you have to manually turn it off. Turned off a bunch of other bits and bobs to keep "pop ups" off the alert screen for sensors I will never replace anyway.

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #9  
GPOutdoors did an interesting YouTube video on push to start vehicles recently. His new truck was stolen out of his driveway by professionals who had it in shipping container ready to go overseas. Apparently they get within 300 feet of the folb and program another one... Then steal the vehicle when convenient.

/ RFID Ignition Lock Anyone? #10  
The key (pun intended) is to do something nobody expects, or can see. Back in the 70s when cars were cars and not rolling computers with motors, we would do something simple like disrupt the 12V to the fuel pump. A 1/4" headphone jack mounted someplace convenient looked inconspicuous enough, but no one would suspect that the car wouldn't start without a headphone plug inserted, even if the plug was laying right there in the console or ashtray (remember those?).

We might have done the same thing with a magnetic door contact for alarms. The magnet could be stored right there on the dash (when they were still metal). Move it two inches to the side to engage or disengage the magnetic switch.

If a scumbag knew it was there, they could bypass it easily enough, but they don't want to spend time looking around for oddball things like that.

I'm not sure how the systems are wired on gasoline, propane or battery ATVs, but there may be a similar simple point where 12v could be disrupted. For a diesel, you might be able to rig something with the fuel shutoff solenoid.