Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Hello all,

I was set on buying a commercial zero turn mower, but after talking to some folks, have decided against it due to hills on my property and the fact my 15-year old son will be the primary operator of whatever I buy. I don't want him getting killed on a slope or have the opportunity to run a zero turn into the pond.

I am looking for a 54 inch or larger mowing deck. The lawn has some pretty good hills and it's very large. The ground is not smooth now, but I just purchased a tractor and attachments that will make smoothing it out much easier. Locally, I can buy from Sears who offer Craftsman and Husky mowers, a local hardware store that sells higher end Husky mowers, a Simplicity dealer, and of course the ever expensive John Deere. I want a hand-operated hydrostat, but after reading how some hydros are failing, I may go gear.

Don't have a brand loyalty here. I do want to hear your thoughts. My price range tops out at $4000.

Thanks!
Mike

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #2  
What kind (size) tractor do you have? Can you just buy a nice finish mower for the tractor instead of a whole new piece of equipment?

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #3  
I don't see how a lawn "tractor" would be less dangerous turning over than a ZTR. ZTR's are designed to have a much lower center of gravity than riding mowers. Are you thinking he would be tempted by the stability of a ZTR to tackle steeper terrain? The lawn tractors at the box stores don't have a roll over bar. For the most safty a ZTR with a roll over bar and a seat belt is hard to beat.

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres
Piston, I've got a Kioti DK40se. It might work on the more open areas, but I'm concerned with how the R4s may cause ruts in the lawn. The DK40 has not been delivered yet. I'll know how it goes in that regard in a week or two.
bilrus61, I'm not worried about him turning anything over. I am concerned with him losing control on a sidehill with a zero turn and ending up in the pond or buried in the treeline that butts up at the bottom of our hill. While I've never used a ZTR, the folks I'd talked who have expressed that concern regarding my property.

thanks,
Mikie

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #5  
I have a dixie choper and have zero issues on steep slopes

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #6  
I have a Skaq ztm, and given a hour or so any compitent person would feel comfortable mowing on slopes. Mine is very stable and i mow in places where i would never think of mowing with our wheel horse lawn tractor. Between the ztm and my KK rear discharge finish mower theres no area i cant mow and do it comfortably.
I mow with my Mahindra 2810 HST and the Kioti DK35 SE HST both with R-4's with no damage to the lawns. . .John

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #7  
my cousin runs an ex mark watch him in my pastar they are fast if that dumb dumb can run one so can your son besides i was on a case 21hp compact at 11 i never wrecked it or rolled it

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #8  
Go test mow a Simplicity Conquest. I have one and blow snow with it too.

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #9  
I need to replace my JD L100 42" mower with a new or priorowned one equal or 46'
most mowers in stock here have thin decks also
I live in Pee Dee of SC'anyone have idea of new or refurbished or prior-owned that was cared for
Al

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #10  
I have a Ferris ZTR and a Cub Cadet hydro and both are stable - but the ZTR is more fun to run and faster and will cost more than 4K for a good one.

You said a hand operated hydro - the cub cadets 782-982 and 1811 and other series have a hand operated hydro. You can find these used for $600-1500 range and if you need to repower will cost another $1200 or so and will last a long time and are stable. The other ones that come to mind are the John Deere 316-318 and 425-445 series GT are fine machines too.

I would in all cases buy a late 80's to early 90s GT before any newer machine. Also R-4s will not damage a lawn but your size tractor may be a bit large for tight areas and it's better to have a separate mower so your son can do the mowing while you are doing other things - also it will give him experience too.