Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres
Frank,

Today I used my Simplicity LandLord for the first time. I purchased it used from the dealer who sold/serviced it for the original owner. It has a newly rebuilt Vanguard engine, a very heavy frame, and a servicable hydro. I checked it over very carefully today and reviewed all the maintenance records. After topping a few teaspoons of hydro oil and hitting the zerks with a shot of grease, I mowed my large "yard". Like yours, it is rough and a bit hilly with just enough trees to make it interesting. I mowed the entire thing in less than 3 hours. In the past, I've spent up to 7 hours on the old Craftsman getting it done. With the Craftsman, there was usually an hour of maintenance for every 3 hours of riding. I'm VERY happy with the performance of this Simplicity. The only thing I noted as not right is in the steering mechanism. When you turn it to the left, you hear a gear clicking and it doesn't always turn, especially when stopped on a concrete surface. The dealer indictated he'd "make anything wrong "right". He's got a great reputation in the community, so I'm hopeful he'll fix this one issue that turned up.

Bottom line: Craftsman is not sufficient for our types of lawns. My Craftsman's frame also snapped over the axle and I ended up welding plates on to reinforce that POS. The frame on the Simplicity is much beefier. I shopped the local Sears and all the Craftsman mowers are just not built for the long term. For the money I spent on the used Simplicity with a rebuilt engine, I would have gotten a Craftsman fit for a small residential lot, not a farm with a huge yard.

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #22  
Thanks for the update! Good luck with the Landlord - it sounds like a great deal. Do they still make these? I had a little trouble on Google trying to find out anything. Also, it sounds like you gave up on the ZTR solution that you were considering. What made you decide to go the riding mower route instead of ZTR? And what makes the new mower so much faster than the Craftsman? Thanks much for your advice and opinions on this!

Frank

They don't make 'em anymore. I believe they replaced the Landlord with whatever the Simplicity top garden tractor is nowadays. I looked at one, but it was about $5K. I didn't find much on the interent regarding Landlord tractors either, but what I did find was positive.

I gave up on a ZTR after trying one. It is simply too fast for the rough ground here and my kid is not the brightest mechanically. Love him, but intuitive he is not when it comes to mechanical things like riding a mower. He's better suited for a tractor type mower.

Regarding speed; The Landlord has a 54 inch deck and my Craftsman had a 42 inch deck. Also, the Craftsman would start slipping deck belts in any tough/high grass and there was no fixing it. I tried a new belt, pulleys, etc, but the deck was simply shot. Finally the Craftsman would break with such regularity, I couldn't depend on getting the lawn mowed before it would break again.

I used my Kioti FEL to lift that Craftsman onto a trailer for the person I gave it to the other day. now that was fun!

/ Riding tractor/mower for 4-5 acres #24  
Subscribing. Trying to make a similar decision. I have a JD 5205 for the serious stuff. I have a LT160 with 470 hours on it that I cut a hilly rough obstacle laiden lawn. I cut about 1.5 to 2 acres and mow a fence row around about 8 acres. Takes about 2 hours on the LT160. I have rewelded the deck supports and guide wheels back on several times. I need something beefier to replace the LT160 with. I only need to mow the lawn and side discharge and need something that will handle the hills and ditches better. (I usually have to lean way back on the mower to get traction on parts of the hill. Not an issue really with ever feeling like I am going to flip it.)

Torn between a bigger standard mower maybe with 4WD and a zero turn. Might go look at Exmark and Ferris tomorrow. How would everyone rank those two against JD's offering. I would be looking at the lower end of zero turns, dont need a huge comercial machine.

Herb

Sparky,

I've heard Zero turns are not the best on hilly terrain. That said, I think Ferris makes the Simplicity Zero turns, and they are good machines.

Good luck!

Update - my dealer picked up the Simplicity at the house, took to his ship where he repaired the steering gear, and returned the same day. No charge on a pretty old tractor. Since then we once again mowed the huge lawn and once again, very happy with the tractor. Also happy with the guy I bought it from.