Right to repair - we WIN!!

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #101  
The biggest thing that bugs me about cell phones and some similar devices is the 'non-replaceable battery. I have no idea what the reasoning was there. Some can still be replaced, but with a lot more work and risk of damage.
The reasoning was that people could easily remove the battery from their cell phones. That prevented the ability to track location or monitor the phone's audio and video remotely.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #102  
The reasoning was that people could easily remove the battery from their cell phones. That prevented the ability to track location or monitor the phone's audio and video remotely.
Just drop it in a Faraday bag. BINGO!

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #103  
Just drop it in a Faraday bag. BINGO!

I thought they were expensive. Amazon has them starting under $20.

Using one would defeat my reason for paying cell phone bill. I need to be accessible plus the family uses Life360. With that tracking feature when I get to the point I can leave the house and not remember how to get back and they know where to come looking for me or call and tell me how to get back home.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #104  
People wear tin foil on their heads so would that work for them to wrap the phones too?

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #105  
People wear tin foil on their heads so would that work for them to wrap the phones too?
It might, but only if they know the difference between tin foil and aluminum foil... 😁

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #107  
On recycling-----
I knew a guy that recycled old electronics, many of which used gold plated connectors.
One time he showed me a certified brick, GOLD it was, and that mostly from connectors.
He'd hire transient workers to cut, strip and classify the materials into barrels.
The beauty of his method was that the gold brick was always in inventory and therefore not taxable.
I suspect the brick weighed 1 kilo, sure was heavy for its size.
Sure a nice gift to leave his wife when he passed.

He used to buy van loads of government surplus hence his source of old obsolete electronics.
Got to know him as I was his 'go to' source for most things aviation.

His worst bid win was a crash landed fighter aircraft.
To recycle for scrap value everything must be sorted and aircraft are one whole mixed bag of metals and components.
Also pieces, parts must fit the oven which in this area was limited to 2 feet.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #108  
I think its unlikely that we're gonna see a whole lot of difference. I mean, at this point, it seems John Deere is for the most part "compliant" with all of the proposed regulations. The only area they don't offer software and the ability to DIY is for the engine emissions systems components, and they very clearly claim the reason they don't offer that is it is against federal law for them to provide a way for them to bypass emissions control devices. It just isn't really helping the situation... they have internet connected diagnostic tools that require an extremely expensive subscription fee, specialized repair tools, they treat larger and larger components as a "sealed" part (they aren't going to give you the schematic of a circuit board so you can replace a $5 chip by soldering it on, they're going to sell you a computer unit in housing that costs thousands). So one of the very biggest companies that is causing people to demand this legislation is going to be impacted, how?

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #109  
they treat larger and larger components as a "sealed" part (they aren't going to give you the schematic of a circuit board so you can replace a $5 chip by soldering it on, they're going to sell you a computer unit in housing that costs thousands). So one of the very biggest companies that is causing people to demand this legislation is going to be impacted, how?
Well, the days of "replacing a $5 chip" are long gone anyway...it's not like they're using TTL chips in a DIP package, those SMT components are not something the average technician can change, even if they were readily available. Besides, most automotive electronics are potted in epoxy to keep moisture out, and have been for going on 50 years.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #110  
...they have internet connected diagnostic tools that require an extremely expensive subscription fee, specialized repair tools, they treat larger and larger components as a "sealed" part (they aren't going to give you the schematic of a circuit board so you can replace a $5 chip by soldering it on, they're going to sell you a computer unit in housing that costs thousands)...
Well, the days of "replacing a $5 chip" are long gone anyway...it's not like they're using TTL chips in a DIP package, those SMT components are not something the average technician can change, even if they were readily available. Besides, most automotive electronics are potted in epoxy to keep moisture out, and have been for going on 50 years.
I don't think anyone is expecting this. However, if I am operating my tractor and it stops running or begins running poorly, I would like to take out my Bluetooth dongle and plug it into the ODB-II port and use my phone to see "what is going on with my tractor" at some level. Or even a dash display of a basic code that I can look up on my phone to get at least a hint of where to start looking. Is it just a loose connection? As mentioned earlier, this can often be the difference between walking back to the barn or driving back the barn for a closer look where there are tools, shade and better lighting.