Traction Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix

/ Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix #1  

PumpingPete

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 55
I know this topic has been talked about a lot on here, but wanted to get everyone's opinion. I can get my rear tires filled with Rimguard for around $485. To get them filled with the antifreeze, it would be around $300. I know there is about a 150 pound weight difference between the two. Is saving the money worth the lighter weight?

/ Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix #2  
I guess it depends upon what you intend to do with your FEL and how much weight you need towards the rear and how convenient you want that added weight to be.

I use my FEL a lot - have my tires loaded with Rimguard(745lb/tire) and a 565lb backblade hanging off the rear when I use the FEL. On my previous tractor I once had the FEL full of wet sand and the *** end of the tractor balancing on the front tires. I never want to experience that feeling again! I came out of the situation OK but it was a very unpleasant and dangerous learning experience. If I ever find that I need more weight toward the rear I guess I could add cast iron wheel weights. Don't think I ever will - I tried the FEL full of wet sand with the new tractor and everything stayed where it should. There are things heavier than wet sand but not that I will ever experience.
You pay your money - you take your chances.

/ Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix #3  
All personal preference. There is only so much fluid that can be put into the rear tires. Is compaction even a consideration for you? Most people could care less and usually the more weight the better. If you have a FEL it could give you more flexability in the implement you need hanging off the back to keep the rear tires on the ground. I have rimguard in my tires and my loader will still pick the rear end off the ground so I made a 1700lb counterweight and I'm seriously considering selling it and making a larger one! Wheel weights are also an option, but in my situation im limited to about 200lbs per rim. Im still considering doing it, but at $200/weight, it gets pretty pricey compared to adding fluid.

/ Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix
Not sure what you are referring to when you asked the compaction question? Sorry, newbie at all of this (obviously). Thanks for the replies.

/ Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix #5  
Pete,
The compaction question is in regard to putting too much fluid in the rear tires. The recommended max is 75% of total capacity which is exactly what are in mine - minus a squirt every time I check the air pressure. If you are somehow able to fill the tire to 100% of capacity it leaves no room for the tire to deflect when it contacts a hard object - rock. It could lead to tire damage.

/ Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix #6  
Compaction as soil compaction. Do you run it across a nice lawn often. You can't practically with fluid take the weight off to mow, then put it back to use the FEL like you would with just using rear ballast on the 3 pt.

/ Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix #7  
Woops - my bad. Dusty & RedNeck are right. Compaction is in regard to compacting the soil and compression is in regard to overfilling a tire with fluid. And I do appreciate the ability of the added weight in the rear tires to compact the soil- I don't have a tow-behind vibratory compactor. However, the added weight in the rear tires is mainly to offset the FEL activity. Dusty, I do have lawns around the house but the soil is so dry and hard that even the weight of the tractor (9650 lb) has very little to no compacting effect. Most of my lawns except right around the house dry up and turn to dust this time of year. My lawns are just years of mowing field grass and unless I water them daily, keeping them green is a lost cause. As of yet I don't mow anything with the tractor - I've got a JD G100 riding lawn mower for that.

/ Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix #8  
And really soil compaction is a probably a moot point for the original poster here anyway if he is referring to the workmaster 55 on his profile. I reckon it is already 4500 or more pounds with the loader installed, its going to make a dent no matter what and I doubt he has turfs on it.

/ Rimguard or RV antifreeze/water mix #9  
up to you. is the 150$ a deal breaker?