ripper for roots?

/ ripper for roots? #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
So I have a new Kubota MX4800 and a Bradco Jaws tree and post puller. It works amazingly well but the biggest hardwood I can pull is 6 or 7 inches in diameter. I can use my subsoiler to loosen the soil around larger trees to get them out but it tend to get hung-up on lager roots.
I have been thinking about making a pointed blade for the subsoiler to cut the roots better. But i came across a homemade ripper on Craigslist for less than i could buy the metal.
I'm going to go look at it (buy it) in the morning. I was wondering what some of the more experienced implement fabricators thought of it. Any chance it will work or will I rip it to shreds?

00707_6u5DNaIZ3g6_600x450.jpg

00g0g_fwIE9E1nzUx_600x450.jpg

ForumRunner_20150522_184520.png

/ ripper for roots? #2  
I think you should have fun trying it out. I've no idea if it is up to the task or not. If inexpensive enough certainly worth the try.

/ ripper for roots? #3  
Plan on the resistance of the root equal to trying to split wood 'cross grain". 20 ton is just enough ;-)

Sharpen that blade, and peck away !

/ ripper for roots?
Plan on the resistance of the root equal to trying to split wood 'cross grain". 20 ton is just enough ;-)

Sharpen that blade, and peck away !

Do the tree sheer attachments produce that much force? Just curious where you got the 20ton number?

/ ripper for roots? #5  
I am interested to know how well it works.

Have been thinking about one for my machine.

/ ripper for roots? #6  
i have a piece of flat bar that has cut and sharpened notches in it. I push my pallet forks together, tack weld it to the bottom, then push the forks in around the roots using it as a saw and you can rip the roots all the way around, then push the tree over and get up under the root ball. grind weld off when done.

/ ripper for roots? #7  
Pics or video of your tree puller in action or it doesn't exist :). Please

/ ripper for roots?
It work ok. A lager blade might actually be better. Haven't torn it up yet. Largest hardwood root that i know I've cut was about 3.5" diameter. Also it would be better if it were set further away from the tractor making it easier to back up to a tree and make a cut on either side of it.
I also posted a video of the tree puller in action. Did not need the ripper for those trees. Search for "tree puller" in the titles.

ForumRunner_20150525_135246.png

ForumRunner_20150525_135257.png