Ripping roots with a tractor?

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #11  
I looked up the lifting capacity of FEL on LS XR4145HC which I presume you would be using and at 2,700, I would be concerned it does not have enough breakout force to use implements that would replace the front bucket. I searched for "SSQA Ripper" but found nothing. The FEL using SSQA ripper might give you enough force to break roots and stump free but probably pretty time consuming for anything over 6 inch dia.

I found the following SSQA stump bucket but I have no experience using such.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #12  
What size of ripping tooth is being used for this? What is the thickness of the steel and how long is the tooth? Is it any different for a backhoe?

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #13  
I looked up the lifting capacity of FEL on LS XR4145HC which I presume you would be using and at 2,700, I would be concerned it does not have enough breakout force to use implements that would replace the front bucket. I searched for "SSQA Ripper" but found nothing. The FEL using SSQA ripper might give you enough force to break roots and stump free but probably pretty time consuming for anything over 6 inch dia.

I found the following SSQA stump bucket but I have no experience using such.

Sorry couldn't be more help.
Judging by the reviews, it looks pretty good. I just ordered a 8' hydraulic rear blade from them today.

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #14  
take a tine off of your pallet forks push in and tip back. That's what I've done with mine. Thinking about making a ripper tooth that mounts on the fork mast.

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #15  
Had the stump problem and first used the forks on the FEL to pop them up. But left a hole in the ground and trenches where the roots came up or lots of roots on top of the ground with the stumps. Was hard on the FEL but would get the job done.

My next move, which solves my problem was to get a 3 ph Turbosaw and grind the stump just below ground level. Left a mow-able surface with no holes or stumps that the mower won't clear.

Best investment I have made for stumps to get a mowing surface. And I've cleared 500-600 stumps from white spruce trees in the last 6 years with this TurboSaw.

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #16  
RSR - lets lay down some truths.

- your tractor is not near big enough to be ripping up roots as big as your arm. Hell - my tractor is not near big enough. At least, using any type of ripper tooth on the FEL or drawbar.

- the thought of "ripping roots" with anything attached to the FEL is fools play. You will, in short order, damage your FEL
- I've had Caterpillar tractors - D6 - come to a dead stop trying to remove roots on large pine trees.

I've been successful removing roots this way. Dig down around the root at the base of the tree. Cut the root - all the way through. Attach a chain with a slip hook to the root. Chain to drawbar on tractor. Take up slack and PULL. At this point you may have to dig out the dirt above the root for a certain distance out from the tree. This will get the removal process started - maybe.

I don't know what kind of roots you have. But there is no way that ANYTHING attached to the drawbar of my tractor is going to cut thru a pine root as big as my arm - PERIOD.

The old farmers around here had a quite successful way of clearing stumps - dynamite. I don't know if it would still be allowed. I know I would need a license to even purchase dynamite now. One blast to loosen the stump and a team of mules to pull and remove the stump.

Last edited:
   / Ripping roots with a tractor? #17  
A sub soiler on the 3 point hitch has the best potential for working. A tractor FEL isn’t nearly durable enough for that use.

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #18  
A sub soiler on the 3 point hitch has the best potential for working. A tractor FEL isn’t nearly durable enough for that use.
Subsoiler didn't work for me, for digging or ripping up roots. Tried it several times. Even small roots would stop the tractor.
It was good for digging trenches by loosening up the sod, loosening rocks, and breaking hard pan, allowing removal of loosened material with a shovel. Repeated passes would go deeper each pass.
My subsoiler was very similar in size as the Rhino root ripper video shows, but on the 3 ph.

Last edited:
   / Ripping roots with a tractor? #19  
Subsoiler didn't work for me, for digging or ripping up roots. Tried it several times. Even small roots would stop the tractor.
It was good for digging trenches by loosening up the sod, loosening rocks, and breaking hard pan, allowing removal of loosened material with a shovel. Repeated passes would go deeper each pass.
My subsoiler was very similar in size as the Rhino DIY video shows.

It’s still the best potential for working. A compact tractor just isn’t made for ripping roots or especially stumps.

/ Ripping roots with a tractor? #20  
I found that my Kubota M6040 @9500# would not rip tree roots. Even with my single tooth ripper. It does OK on Buck brush. But Buck brush is 3/8" in diameter and two feet tall. Like I said previously - my ancient Ponderosa pine roots stopped a Cat D6 with a single ripper tooth.

It's all about traction and weight. I gave up after digging out ONE pine stump. It was 38" on the butt cut. Out on the 80 - the stumps rot away and are bothering nobody.

I would seriously look into dynamite. If it was legal for me to use. AND if I were really concerned.

I finally realized - a pine tree, standing 120 tall, isn't supported by some spindly root system.