RK37 New to me, hydraulic leak, not sure what to check

/ RK37 New to me, hydraulic leak, not sure what to check #1  

dirtyb115

Bronze Member
Hello all. Well i was very excited to get my first tractor this weekend(I have only had skidsteers in the past.) Saw a great deal on a RK37 shuttle shift with 240 hours and I jumped on it. Guy said it had no leaks and I didn't notice anything while i was checking it out, but it was in the grass. When i got home, and took it off the trailer i parked it on the driveway and left it running for a bit. When i went to move it there was a pretty good puddle of hydraulic fluid under it. Took the seat panel up tonight so i could see where it was coming from. Let it run for a bit and did not notice any leaks. Started moving the loader up and down and after a while i started seeing it leak. It would shoot out pretty good at times when lowering the bucket fast. It is coming from what I am guessing is a vent hose? In the parts list it is just listed as a hose in the cylinder case diagram. (The picture shows the hose, it is the one coiled up and zip tied. ) So..... any ideas on what would cause this?? Any help would be appreciated. Was hoping to play this weekend, but looks like I'll be working on it.... Thanks!
20240305_190143.jpg

/ RK37 New to me, hydraulic leak, not sure what to check #2  
Is your system a bit over filled?
Also if that hose can be uncoiled and looped up higher with slope back to the reservoir it will breath and allow less fluid to lay in the hose and dribble out.

/ RK37 New to me, hydraulic leak, not sure what to check
Is your system a bit over filled?
Also if that hose can be uncoiled and looped up higher with slope back to the reservoir it will breath and allow less fluid to lay in the hose and dribble out.
Thanks for the reply!. I just took a look at the sight glass, its either underfilled or over, i can't tell. Will try and get a better look at it tomorrow.
I will try uncoiling and tying it up higher....
Thanks again

/ RK37 New to me, hydraulic leak, not sure what to check #4  
John Deere Hydraulic Oil Dye - MT3668 - use about 1/4 of this and it show up on the glass nicely.

{Edit} - the dye is RED, not green!!! ...and about $11.

Last edited:
   / RK37 New to me, hydraulic leak, not sure what to check #5  
Or if you don't want green you can get red or blue;
1709736767869.png

/ RK37 New to me, hydraulic leak, not sure what to check #6  
That picture and your description - is great. I'm betting you will find that the hydraulic system is over filled.

Make yourself a dip stick. Get a 1/4" dowel about a foot long. When the hydraulic oil has been corrected and is at the correct level. Engine cold or hot. Insert the stick into the hydraulic fill hole until there is noticeable oil on the bottom of the stick( an inch, at least). Mark the stick at the fill hole level. Remove the stick - mark the stick at the oil level. You now have an accurate measurement system and do not have to rely on those miserable sight glass units. Just remember if you measured the oil - hot or cold.

Last edited:
   / RK37 New to me, hydraulic leak, not sure what to check #7  
The picture you posted shows a steel pipe on the left side with a shiny end that looks about the size the coiled hose. The area also shows what looks like oil that has been leaded out in this area.

/ RK37 New to me, hydraulic leak, not sure what to check
Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a chance to look last night, took the filler cap off and fluid started coming out..... So it was VERY overfilled, all the way to the top. Draining it down now.