Road building with 2305

/ Road building with 2305 #1  

chipsndust

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 1025R, Curtis cab
Here are some pictures of my summer project. Beavers built a dam on neighbor's property, flooding 6-8 acres of my wooded land, and causing loss of access to part of my property.
I put 6'-8' logs in, covered logs with field stone, then covered stone with dirt/gravel. The earth moving/leveling was done with FEL and box blade. I started out moving the field stone in the FEL, but found it was more efficient to use my 4-wheeler (see a Gator HPX in the future). Water is about 3' deep in deepest spot, average is probably 18".

Attachments

• 100_0923c.jpg
    100_0923c.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 514
  • 100_0925c.jpg
    100_0925c.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 100_0927c.jpg
    100_0927c.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 396
  • 100_0947c.jpg
    100_0947c.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 372
  • 100_0949c.jpg
    100_0949c.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 100_0950c.jpg
    100_0950c.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 100_0952c.jpg
    100_0952c.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_0956c.jpg
    100_0956c.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 456
   / Road building with 2305 #3  
Man, I cannot believe you did that! Really looks great to me, and makes me want to take a drive down it on my JD2210... I guess the logs will rot fairly soon though, and you will have to refill?

/ Road building with 2305 #4  
Very impressive. What is the reason behind laying down the logs initially?

/ Road building with 2305
MacLawn said:
Man, I cannot believe you did that! Really looks great to me, and makes me want to take a drive down it on my JD2210... I guess the logs will rot fairly soon though, and you will have to refill?
Thanks, Mac, I estimate it's about 80 yards across the "swamp". The logs are from trees in the flooded area, live trees which would have died. I think if they are submerged, they won't rot out in my lifetime. If they do, it'll give me more seat time.:)

EastTnFarmboy said:
Very impressive. What is the reason behind laying down the logs initially?
They make good fill, and I had lots of them available. Also they make a "level" base under the rocks. Without the logs, it was taking too many rocks and too much dirt. I piled field stone on top of the logs until the stone was above water level, then covered the stones with dirt and packed it down.

/ Road building with 2305 #7  
chipsndust said:
Thanks, Mac, I estimate it's about 80 yards across the "swamp". The logs are from trees in the flooded area, live trees which would have died. I think if they are submerged, they won't rot out in my lifetime. If they do, it'll give me more seat time.:)

I didn't realize that a submerged log will not rot as fast as one that isn't submerged.

/ Road building with 2305 #8  
EastTNFarmboy: Once they get exposed to air and sunlight they rot pretty quick.

Chipsndust: Beavers can be such pests. There is quite a bit of legitimate beaver trapping/re-location in my area. In some ways I am lucky about my sloped property. I do have a spring, but there is no place those beavers can dam :). That is one great looking road, good work :D!

Jay

/ Road building with 2305 #9  
Chipsndust,

Now that's some nice work. Just curious as to about how much time it took you to complete that project. Seems like that would be a lot of trips for stone and dirt! Impressive to say the least. They say beavers are quite the engineers, but I think you're one-uppin' em.

Chipsndust: Beavers can be such pests. There is quite a bit of legitimate beaver trapping/re-location in my area. In some ways I am lucky about my sloped property. I do have a spring, but there is no place those beavers can dam :). That is one great looking road, good work :D!

Jay[/QUOTE]
Jay:
When I was a teenager, a buddy and I used to trap beaver and muskrat, so I know a little about their habits. Tearing out the dam just causes them to work all night to repair it. It wouldn't take long for more to move in if they were trapped out. My wife and I decided to accept the change and adjust to it. We are getting a lot of waterfowl moving in. I lost access to a hardwood ridge so that's the main reason I built the road. It was a nice project, lots of fresh air, excercise, and tractor time.