Road Rage, revisited.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #31  
I have to wonder what the rule of zipping really is.

The other day I was in the right lane and checked and then double checked that there were no cars on an upcoming on ramp. So I relaxed when the merge lane started happening.... I had checked and there were no cars on that ramp. To my compete surprise at the end of this merge lane, i look to my right and there is a PU truck, side by side, and it was accelerating. And I know that there is an upcoming bridge, offering no emergency lane for this truck. Quick look to the left and I could see no space to change lanes as those cars were all tailgating. No space to merge over.
So I slam on the brakes, just as the PU driver also realized he had no road in front of him. And he slammed his brakes also. We came to a near standstill till I could tell he was committed to a full stop. Which he had to do as there was no more road. I pass and in the rear view saw him get back on the road. A mile later he passes me and gives me the finger. I thought this was amusing, as I know for a fact that this truck didn't come from the on ramp. He must have attempted to pass me on the right using the merge lane.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #32  
I always follow with enough distance that an aggressive driver can cut in front of me, and I don't get worked up when it happens. It beats tailgating and increasing the risk of an accident.
I totally subscribe to leaving enough room between me and car ahead so that another car can pull in. That's also what i do as lanes are merging.
A common scenario is merging conflicts, where two drivers are hellbent on not letting the other driver get in front, and they eventually run into each other. I find it ironic that they both would have gotten home earlier if one of them had yielded.
I agree it normally make's sense to yield and let everyone get to work or home safe and on time. I did waver on it once and started an unexpected sequence with consequences. Just passed a large mall 3 lanes dropped to 2 for 150 yards then to 1 lane. Past construction project that brought 3 lanes to serve new development continued pavement past mall wide enough for 3 lanes in anticipation of soon to come continuation of multiple lanes. In addition to signage as lanes closed,the closed lanes were cross hatch stripped as is common where traffic and parking are forbiden. Day after day the same cars used the cross hatched lanes to pass slow traffic then bully their way back in where cross hatched lanes ended with barricades. Thinking I might get one day the ear of someone at TXDPS or TXDOT I began sitting my discarded cell on the dash to record the risky maneuvers and violent confrontations. As a truck in cross hatches pulled increasingly closer,I maintained my lane. Cars in front excelerated leaving a gap and the truck quickly swerved and excelerated to grab the hole. His rear bumper hooked my front fender and bumper but the driver never pulled over once he could have. I followed a ways and did toot my horn and motion for him to pull over. Realizing the guy could turn violent if I continued following,I pulled over and reported hit and run to police.
Lots of crooks and turns with missed work and trips to court but unless there's interest in details,I'll just leave it by saying ;
A. I still don't pull toward oncoming traffic in attempt to escape cars crowding me.
B. I wound up compensated 20x what I lost in property and time.
C. Last I heard driver was serving time in jail because of previous misbehaviors to which this was the so called last straw.
D. After light was cast on neglect by multiple agencys, police occasional patrolled and issued tickets which all but ended use of "the fast lane by the privileged few."

/ Road Rage, revisited.
I have to wonder what the rule of zipping really is.

The other day I was in the right lane and checked and then double checked that there were no cars on an upcoming on ramp. So I relaxed when the merge lane started happening.... I had checked and there were no cars on that ramp. To my compete surprise at the end of this merge lane, i look to my right and there is a PU truck, side by side, and it was accelerating. And I know that there is an upcoming bridge, offering no emergency lane for this truck. Quick look to the left and I could see no space to change lanes as those cars were all tailgating. No space to merge over.
So I slam on the brakes, just as the PU driver also realized he had no road in front of him. And he slammed his brakes also. We came to a near standstill till I could tell he was committed to a full stop. Which he had to do as there was no more road. I pass and in the rear view saw him get back on the road. A mile later he passes me and gives me the finger. I thought this was amusing, as I know for a fact that this truck didn't come from the on ramp. He must have attempted to pass me on the right using the merge lane.
I was with a coworker once who did something similar, although it was unintentional. We were on our way back to the motel room, and I was in the passenger seat talking to my mother, as my father had just had knee surgery. We were in the left turn lane which I couldn't understand, with a car on my right. Our lane ended at the intersection. As we approached the turn going way too fast I grabbed the dash and said "Uh, BOB!!!!" I think we were doing about 50. He cut the wheel and turned into the other lane, cutting the other car off who understandably laid on the horn, but also missed us somehow. That's when you wish that you could tell them "oops, sorry."

Meanwhile my mother heard the entire thing, and started bitching me out for talking on the phone while I was driving.
ER, we would have been better off if I was.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #34  
Dash cameras are installed in all our vehicles. Horns are used in parking lots to alert pedestrians not in traffic. Easier to be patient and keep car dint free then try and replace it with todays "supply shortage" and incredible mark-ups.

/ Road Rage, revisited.
I totally subscribe to leaving enough room between me and car ahead so that another car can pull in. That's also what i do as lanes are merging.
Maybe it comes with age, yet this just makes sense. Knowing how some people can get if they can't get past you, I don't want them behind me. Rather, leave a gap so that if they attempt an unsafe pass, at least they have a chance to get back in again. It also gives you more room to compensate for him if the car in front of you stops suddenly.
If I'm in town and there's a lot of traffic, it allows somebody room to pull out of a parking lot or side street into traffic. Yet I have ridden with people who get all POed because somebody pulled out, rather than waiting for a perfectly clear road.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #36  
Here's a question for people who live in other states... when entering a controlled access highway, do the signs say to "Yield" or to "Merge"? It's the former here but I suspect that we are in the minority. That could lead to friction when resident's from other places are here or vice versa.
If the acceleration lane is long enough, here in Indiana, there is no sign. If the acceleration lane is short, there's usually a YEILD sign. However, few people actually yield. Most folks do, however, move over to let you in even if you don't yield.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #37  

I'm actually a pretty calm driver, but what really gets me absolutely fuming is the speed-checkers. The folks that get in the left lane and match speed with the right lane. Not folks that are simply driving a similar speed, but actually match speed and stay there. If their right lane counterparts exit or move, they blast ahead at ridiculous speed to the next right lane occupant, slow down and block the lane again.
That's illegal in Indiana, too. You are required to move over to let faster traffic pass, even if you are already speeding yourself. I love it! :)

/ Road Rage, revisited.
If the acceleration lane is long enough, here in Indiana, there is no sign. If the acceleration lane is short, there's usually a YEILD sign. However, few people actually yield. Most folks do, however, move over to let you in even if you don't yield.
I've been wondering about that for a while, and thought it might be one of the reasons people from other states drive differently. Last month the State Police announced a campaign to crack down on motorists who don't yield on the on ramp. As they said; "Many people will pull over and let you in, but they aren't required to."
Sometimes you can't, for various reasons.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #39  
People get shot and killed for honking at the wrong person. On rare occasions, I'll give a short honk when someone is zoned out on their cellphone at a green light.

I generally only use the horn as part of avoiding an accident.

I always follow with enough distance that an aggressive driver can cut in front of me, and I don't get worked up when it happens. It beats tailgating and increasing the risk of an accident.
I have the "It's green. It's green. It's still green. It's not getting any greener." rule before I give two short double beeps if I see they're looking down at their crotch. Then they give me the finger and drive away, as usual.