Road Rage, revisited.

/ Road Rage, revisited.
I had to use the horn again, two weeks to the day since I said that I wouldn't.
I could see a deer grazing on the side of the road up ahead and predictably, as I got close she started thinking that she needed to cross the road. I was already slowing, but 3 taps on the horn persuaded her to head off into the bushes, rather than the pavement.
Just 15 minutes before that I had been driving down the road and noticed a cat with a plastic mason jar stuck on it's head. I was able to stop and pull it off... then realized that I was standing on somebody's front lawn for no reason obvious to the owner. (I thought it was an abandoned building, until I saw the car in the yard.)

/ Road Rage, revisited.
Man shot in front yard while holding peanut butter jar.

Not a headline you'd expect, but hey, it's 2022.

nice of you to help the cat. (y)
Two points; the peanut butter jar was empty and obviously had been outside for years.
Also, I don't particularly care for peanut butter.

Thus that gunshot would have been even more painful. :D

And the darned cat didn't even stick around to thank me... typical feline!

/ Road Rage, revisited. #174  
Last hitch hikers I picked up was a man, woman and a kid about 3 years old. It was hot, and I figured they were safe. That's been 50 or so years ago. I wouldn't pick up someone I didn't know today at all. When I was growing up in rural Oklahoma, every body stopped for you if you were walking or having car trouble.

I the days before cell phones, I stopped to help a couple guys whose car was stuck in sand. When we finally got their car out, as they were turning on to the road, they shot me the bird. I've never forgotten that.

Like my old boss used to say, "No good deed goes unpunished".

/ Road Rage, revisited. #175  
Just wanted to help explain the nature of Michigan highway commuting with a picture in case its helpful. Many of the cars in front of me here are in the 1.5-3 car length following range (for no good reason) and are getting a huge aerodynamic drafting benefit.

Feel free to bash me for taking a pic at 75 mph if you want. Note: I cropped the image heavily to zoom it in on the cars in front of me, I was a good 4-5 car lengths back when I snapped it. I tried asking Siri to do it for me, hand free, but she wouldn't.

5Id9uHb.jpg

/ Road Rage, revisited. #176  
Tailgating is one of the things I have seen arise in my lifetime. I still follow the 2 second rule from when I learned to drive in the '60s. People think they can stop just as fast as the car in front, until the car in front hits something. My younger sister's best friend died that way.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #177  
Siri was safely refusing to use the phone while driving! :)

That literally could have been shot from my windshield this morning in MA. Same traffic in left lane. A little light in the right lane.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #178  
Tailgating is one of the things I have seen arise in my lifetime. I still follow the 2 second rule from when I learned to drive in the '60s. People think they can stop just as fast as the car in front, until the car in front hits something. My younger sister's best friend died that way.
One thing led to another. People that once left space between them and car ahead got tired of cars coming from behind to jump in the opening.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #179  
^ exactly. I don't feel comfortable tailgating, I desire control of my fortunes, and options for avoidance should a panic stop or road hazard situation arise. But it really F^&(ng sucks when you get cut off repeatedly from right lane passers, so, you have to close the gap sometimes and prevent the opportunity for this kind of behavoir.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #180  
I distinctly remember people tailgating my parents when in our VW vans in the 60s. It’s hard not to come up on those things putting along. We’d be riding in the back and cars would get up on our bumper. My sisters and I would make faces at them. 😛

Nowadays, when someone comes up behind me and sits there too close, I just flip on the night mirror and ignore them. Not much you can do about it.