Road Rage, revisited.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #191  
What irks me most often on the highway is:
- I have the cruise control set.
- I come up behind another vehicle.
- Since I caught up to it, I’m obviously going faster than it.
- I look in my mirror, signal to change lanes, look over my left shoulder to check my blind spot, pull into the left lane, get my righ front fender about even with the other driver’s left shoulder, aaaaannnnnnnnd they accelerate and match speed.

So you’re sitting out there in the left lane and it never fails that someone else comes up behind you so you then have to accelerate to get around the car that you’re passing.

Then you get ahead, signal, look, pull in the right lane, the car behind you goes by and so does the car you just passed.

Then in a mile or so, they pull back into the right lane and slow down and you catch up to them again, repeat.
And when competitive road boulders start to irritate me, I stop for gas or food and let them get down the freeway and out of my hair.

All the best,

Peter

/ Road Rage, revisited. #192  
And when competitive road boulders start to irritate me, I stop for gas or food and let them get down the freeway and out of my hair.

All the best,

Peter
Ha! On our trips to OK and back, we usually stop west of St. Louis for gas and lunch bite, usually about 15 minutes or less. Get back on highway, and always seem to catch up to the people we passed a long time ago. GRRRrrr!

However, that’s a good illustration that if you’re driving 5MPH faster than someone, in 3 hours, you’re only going to be about 15 minutes ahead of them.

/ Road Rage, revisited.
What irks me most often on the highway is:
- I have the cruise control set.
- I come up behind another vehicle.
- Since I caught up to it, I’m obviously going faster than it.
- I look in my mirror, signal to change lanes, look over my left shoulder to check my blind spot, pull into the left lane, get my righ front fender about even with the other driver’s left shoulder, aaaaannnnnnnnd they accelerate and match speed.

So you’re sitting out there in the left lane and it never fails that someone else comes up behind you so you then have to accelerate to get around the car that you’re passing.

Then you get ahead, signal, look, pull in the right lane, the car behind you goes by and so does the car you just passed.

Then in a mile or so, they pull back into the right lane and slow down and you catch up to them again, repeat.
Ditto here. Or you are driving along with the CC on and somebody comes up in the left lane and camps out just behind you. After traveling a mile or so you come up on somebody who is moving slower... so the car behind will pull up so their bumper is by your RR tire... then slow again. You either have to speed up to pull out, or slow down so they can pass. I went 7 miles with a guy that way.

Years ago I was going down the interstate with my CC set at about 7 over the limit when a car pulled out behind me from the onramp.
She followed me for about 60 miles . At one point she flashed her lights at me when a state trooper had somebody stopped in the opposite lane but I didn't care; I've been driving that way for 40 years and never gotten stopped for it. (I've been stopped for going faster though. :D)
We both got off at the same exit, and she followed me into DD, where she got out all excited and said "That's the fastest that I've ever gotten here!"
I was just driving my normal, steady pace.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #194  
Remember, the faster your speed, the lower your fuel mileage is. Myself, I drive 5 below the limit most times in the slow lane and I get 40 mpg. If I come upon a slower vehicle, I'll speed up to pass and then get back over in the granny lane. Always on cruise too. I just leave with ample time to get to where I need to go, on time.

Life is too short and fuel is too expensive to get in a hurry today.

What I find amazing is, most of the 'in a hurry and going like a bat out of hell' people are driving gas hog SUV's or large pickup trucks. They must have large wallets or no brains, or both.

What is nice is, usually at 5 below, you aren't surrounded by other idiots in a big hurry.

Far as I'm concerned the National Speed limit needs be lowered back to 55.

In a big hurry... Leave earlier. Speed kills, not only you but your fuel mileage.

55 and arrive alive with ample fuel left.

Also, keep in mind that on Interstates, the minimum speed is still 45 mph, last time I checked.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #195  
So let them. You will get there just as fast.
That's not really my concern.

I'm not down with allowing this kind of reckless, pointless, right lane passing. I don't enjoy having to follow someone closely at 75 mph to block it, but it's even less safe to let someone squeeze in front into a 3 car gap, IMO. People around here that drive defensively and maintain a full following distance in the left lane no matter what, will get cut off like this endlessly. Seems even more dangerous to me.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #196  
55 and arrive alive with ample fuel left.

Also, keep in mind that on Interstates, the minimum speed is still 45 mph, last time I checked.
Hey, you do you. You are certainly entitled to drive as calmly as you want.

But the rest of us are still going to drive 70-80 mph, because we can, and we want to. So keep in mind that your slow poking, if it is making other slow-ish drivers or semi trucks have to pass you, is creating real danger back behind you. Whenever a semi truck has to use the left lane to pass someone during high volume traffic times, it creates an accordian wave of slow-down braking for all the rest of us in the left lane. I've seen this cause panic stops and accidents numerous times. Not to mention all the wasted fuel for everyone having to slow down, then reaccelerate to normal speed.

All because some dude is determined to drive slowly for their own personal benefit. You might be saving your own fuel, but you're costing everyone else more and it's a net loss for the economy and environment. I'm not calling you selfish, but it's most certainly safer for all the rest of us if you go with the flow and match the normal speeds of the road. Again, this concept is in the context of rush-hour, congested commuting. Off hours, no issue.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #197  
Let’s say there’s a truck in the right lane going slower than other peoples’ liking. There’s a line of 10 cars in the left lane that wants to go round it, and more coming up from the back. Not one of those people in the left lane will move over to the right lane to let the faster car behind them go past, using the ‘wait your turn’ philosophy. And the lead car can see 10 cars behind it, but isn’t going to speed up because ‘I’m going fast enough, they can wait.” And then someone comes up in the right lane, the cars in the left lane will disregard the common sense of keeping a safe distance from the car in front of them, and all of them will bunch up to prevent the person in the right lane from getting ahead of them, putting all of them in danger of a chain reaction accident, all while traveling at about 100’ per second at 70mph.

That’s the American way! :unsure:

100 ft./sec. at 70 mph is worth a second look, especially when tail gating. If you don't comprehend how far that is, just measure it off and take a look. You only have to be distracted for a second, and you can be in big trouble.
My daughter rear ended a car turning in front of her and totaled her Mazda CX 9. She was merging, looked to see if it was clear to merge, and she hit the turning car. In her defense it is a very dangerous T section where lots of accidents happen, but the point being at highway speeds you best pay attention and drive defensively.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #198  
Hey, you do you. You are certainly entitled to drive as calmly as you want.

But the rest of us are still going to drive 70-80 mph, because we can, and we want to. So keep in mind that your slow poking, if it is making other slow-ish drivers or semi trucks have to pass you, is creating real danger back behind you. Whenever a semi truck has to use the left lane to pass someone during high volume traffic times, it creates an accordian wave of slow-down braking for all the rest of us in the left lane. I've seen this cause panic stops and accidents numerous times. Not to mention all the wasted fuel for everyone having to slow down, then reaccelerate to normal speed.

All because some dude is determined to drive slowly for their own personal benefit. You might be saving your own fuel, but you're costing everyone else more and it's a net loss for the economy and environment. I'm not calling you selfish, but it's most certainly safer for all the rest of us if you go with the flow and match the normal speeds of the road. Again, this concept is in the context of rush-hour, congested commuting. Off hours, no issue.
Really, but then you appear to be one of those speed of sound Michigan drivers. Your wallet, not mine. Maybe when gas gets to 10 bucks a gallon, maybe you will slow down...maybe.

I don't drive during 'rush hour' anyway. I'm retired. Glad I'm not a speed cop, I'd be needing numerous ticket books.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #199  
well then it sounds all good.

You're not wrong, we drive too fast here. But I'm used to it, and enjoy it, to be honest. Still get 32-33 mpg going 70+ in my beater VW. If I slowed down to 60 mph and tried to nudge closer to 40 mpg, I would save.... a few bucks a month? It's meaningless, financially. Even with $5 gas.

Now in my 2500HD, I do limit my speed on the highway to save a bit. Again the financial aspect doesn't matter much, but I just feel bad burning so much gas.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #200  
Considering how bad Michigan roads are (I seem to remember one of Whitmer's campaign slogans was 'Fix the Dam roads', obviously she forgot about that (and other things as well) because the roads here are like bombed out runways. I don't need to be flying low and hit a hole some are so deep you cannot see the bottom).

I drive northbound and southbound 23 regularly and on some stretches, the berm (breakdown) lane is smoother. At 65, I can avoid the bad ones. At 80, no way. My F350 4x4 has become a garage queen. At 150 bucks a tank, no way Jose'.