Road Rage, revisited.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #201  
One thing I never do is get in anyone's way or impede traffic flow. If I have to pass a slow truck or car, I'll step out into the second lane and kick the speed up to 75 or better, get around slow traffic, drop back into the slow lane and drop the cruise to 65. Now, I've had idiots tailgate me in the slow lane at 65. Makes no sense to me. Sometimes I think to myself maybe a brake check is in order but I don't do it, just think it.

Last time I checked, assured clear distance in Michigan was a 4 point citation and assuredly a good payout from the tailgaters insurance carrier too. One nice thing about Michigan, no insurance, no drive, no tags.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #203  
Haha. I call it a beater because i scored it cheap last fall, primarily just to avoid driving my 2500HD in the winter on our decrepit, salty roads. But I'm kind of a long time VW nerd and immediately knew all the mods I wanted to do, even had some old performance parts on the shelf to toss on. Spent a lot of elbow grease to get her back into good shape. Don't mind the gaudy red wheels, they were nearly free so I had to pick them up off an unwitting craigslist seller, will flip 'em soon. She does like to go autobahn speeds, though.

9jdC7M6.jpg

/ Road Rage, revisited. #204  
Ditto here. Or you are driving along with the CC on and somebody comes up in the left lane and camps out just behind you. After traveling a mile or so you come up on somebody who is moving slower... so the car behind will pull up so their bumper is by your RR tire... then slow again. You either have to speed up to pull out, or slow down so they can pass. I went 7 miles with a guy that way.
I treat that situation as an opportunity for an object lesson. I will speed up enough that my rear bumper clears, then change lanes in front of him and resume my normal rate of speed. When I finish passing and move back into the right lane, they will be frustrated enough to put their foot in it and pass me.

When I'm being crowded too close, I sometimes do my drunk driver imitation. Weave back and forth, accelerate and decelerate randomly, and they will look for an opportunity to get away from me. Problem solved.

Years ago I built a Tailgate Slimer, which was a gallon jug, a windshield washer pump, and a nozzle hooked to my tailgate. If they got too close, I would wash their windshield for them. If I was feeling mean, I would mix some watercolor paint to match windshield washer fluid and use that. Now that the highway is full of armed whackos, I don't do that any more.

All the action is in the left lane anyway. Since I retired, life all pays the same no matter what I'm doing, so I set cruise on the speed limit and hug the right lane. I rarely have to pass anyone.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #205  
I treat that situation as an opportunity for an object lesson. I will speed up enough that my rear bumper clears, then change lanes in front of him and resume my normal rate of speed. When I finish passing and move back into the right lane, they will be frustrated enough to put their foot in it and pass me.

When I'm being crowded too close, I sometimes do my drunk driver imitation. Weave back and forth, accelerate and decelerate randomly, and they will look for an opportunity to get away from me. Problem solved.

Years ago I built a Tailgate Slimer, which was a gallon jug, a windshield washer pump, and a nozzle hooked to my tailgate. If they got too close, I would wash their windshield for them. If I was feeling mean, I would mix some watercolor paint to match windshield washer fluid and use that. Now that the highway is full of armed whackos, I don't do that any more.

All the action is in the left lane anyway. Since I retired, life all pays the same no matter what I'm doing, so I set cruise on the speed limit and hug the right lane. I rarely have to pass anyone.
If they are really close, turn on you own Windshield Wiper and it will spray them down...happened to me in my youth when I was tailgating.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #206  
Remember, the faster your speed, the lower your fuel mileage is. Myself, I drive 5 below the limit most times in the slow lane and I get 40 mpg. If I come upon a slower vehicle, I'll speed up to pass and then get back over in the granny lane. Always on cruise too. I just leave with ample time to get to where I need to go, on time.

Life is too short and fuel is too expensive to get in a hurry today.

What I find amazing is, most of the 'in a hurry and going like a bat out of hell' people are driving gas hog SUV's or large pickup trucks. They must have large wallets or no brains, or both.

What is nice is, usually at 5 below, you aren't surrounded by other idiots in a big hurry.

Far as I'm concerned the National Speed limit needs be lowered back to 55.

In a big hurry... Leave earlier. Speed kills, not only you but your fuel mileage.

55 and arrive alive with ample fuel left.

Also, keep in mind that on Interstates, the minimum speed is still 45 mph, last time I checked.
I can't remember the exact numbers, but a vehicle loses energy to air friction, rolling friction, and mechanical friction.

Modern lubricants have done a lot to reduce mechanical friction. I was doing a long commute in the early '90s, and my mileage went from 23 to 28 mpg in 4 years, simply from changing the engine oil and gear train oil. Gear boxes will run 300 degrees on the freeway, mostly from stirring the lube. The torque converter sucks a huge amount of gas, until the transmission locks the gear train. If the manufacturer recommends 5w-20 oil, use it. 5w-30 just cuts your mileage. A lower engine RPM also reduces mechanical friction.

Rolling friction is mostly tires. Buy a second set of rims and swap those buckshot mudders for highway tires in good weather. Your traction tires will last longer and the tread will still be decent next winter. Tire stores rarely advertise rolling friction ratings, but they have the info for comparison if you ask for it.

Air friction is due to speed and turbulence. Fluid friction, like air resistance, goes up with the cube of the velocity, so doubling your speed results in an 8x increase in air friction. Even small changes in speed result in a noticeable change. Going from 60 mph to 70 mph results in a 58% increase in air friction. That's only a portion of the energy your car uses, but you will definitely notice that at the gas pump. Turbulence is controlled by streamlining. That's why so many cars have that air scoop below the bumper that gets ripped off on parking lot curbs. The underside of the car is not streamlined at all, so they try to shield it from air motion. Rims have been redesigned to create less air turbulence, though they are sometimes designed as air fans to cool the disc brake rotors.

If you drive hills, vehicle weight can make a significant difference. Back in the '70s, UPS only filled their delivery trucks half full to save fuel. Unload that 300 lbs. of feed before you run back into town for the screw you can't live without. Leave the lumber rack off until you need it.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #207  

Your object lesson of lane changes and slowing is one thing several here are complaining about. The drunk driver act sound's like a safe and effective way of getting rid of tailgaters,I'll try it.
Windshield washing 😲🤠 that's priceless but I can understand why you decided not doing it any longer. Not someone that you might know but there was a guy that dropped marbles,washed gravel and occasional ball bearing in a pex pipe protruding through floorboard and leading back behind differential. The impression tailgaters had was that rear tires were picking up rocks so they would back off or go around. As I understand,he started with a few 1/4" gravel then to 3/4 then marbles and bearings,depending on how persistent tailgater wanted to be.😁

/ Road Rage, revisited. #210  
Your object lesson of lane changes and slowing is one thing several here are complaining about. The drunk driver act sound's like a safe and effective way of getting rid of tailgaters,I'll try it.
Windshield washing 😲🤠 that's priceless but I can understand why you decided not doing it any longer. Not someone that you might know but there was a guy that dropped marbles,washed gravel and occasional ball bearing in a pex pipe protruding through floorboard and leading back behind differential. The impression tailgaters had was that rear tires were picking up rocks so they would back off or go around. As I understand,he started with a few 1/4" gravel then to 3/4 then marbles and bearings,depending on how persistent tailgater wanted to be.😁
There are limits. Failing to maintain a single lane of travel is a violation. Have your excuses ready.