Roadside "harvesting"

/ Roadside "harvesting" #2  
I have seen that happen in Northern NY;usually "city" people /vacationers who don't know the difference from cow corn or sweet corn.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #3  
Stealing produce in some parts can get you a load of shot in the azz.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #4  
I know of one farm that has had an honesty box stolen. :mad: There is another road side stand which I THINK he has an honesty box and leaves food out at night. They are right off a major rural highway and I often wonder if they have been robbed.

My wife's family always allowed people to get sweet potatoes AFTER the field had been harvested. Twas amazing how much food was left in the field after the harvest. :(

I am reading a blog about a couple walking along a pilgrim trail in Spain. They mention taking grapes and almonds from fields as they walk past. :shocked: Not sure if this is expected/allowed but if every hiker did this, I could see the landowner taking some losses given how many walkers are on that trail. Might be just tradition to do the picking while walking too. :confused3:

Later,
Dan

/ Roadside "harvesting" #5  
I had a neighbor in the country with two nice apple trees right in front of the house and 20-30 feet off the road. Went to check on them one day and every apple on the road half was gone. Probably a bushel or two. How far is allowed? I think it is all stealing.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #6  
I had a neighbor in the country with two nice apple trees right in front of the house and 20-30 feet off the road. Went to check on them one day and every apple on the road half was gone. Probably a bushel or two. How far is allowed? I think it is all stealing.

That reminded me of when my parents had citrus trees. They had a regular house on a small lot in a subdivision with a some different citrus trees. One of the neighbors would come down and just take the fruit! :confused3::shocked: They would have 4-6 people out there just taking the fruit and of course they did not ask. :rolleyes:

Later,
Dan

/ Roadside "harvesting" #7  
There are several locations thru out Ea WA where fruit trees are right in the county roadside ditch or very close. I have checked on three of these locations and the trees are actually in the road ROW. I've contacted the adjacent property owner on two of these and they could care less if I harvest the apples. Both have cautioned - "Please DO NOT drive any vehicle out into the adjoining wheat field".

All of these trees are VERY old and have not been maintained for eons - yet, they still produce large crops of apples. I really don't think that Johnny Applesead ever made it up this way. So I'm thinking these are plantings from some original homestead in the area that is long gone. I find these old homestead apple to be very tasty and if you core out any burrowing/tunneling bugs, they make delicious apple pies OR leave the bugs in for added spice.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #8  
A few "Pesticide Use in this Area" signs might be a good deterrent.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #9  
Yeah we have feed corn growing across the street. Haven't seen anyone picking it, but the other neighbors road their horses through AFTER it was planted in the spring. Farmer was none too happy. Thankfully we have had him do some work for us so he knew it was not us.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #10  
I go roadside harvesting at least once a month, but all I get is empty beer cans.