Roadside "harvesting"

/ Roadside "harvesting" #12  
I thought I was going to learn about retrieving roadkill.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #13  
All of these trees are VERY old and have not been maintained for eons - yet, they still produce large crops of apples. I really don't think that Johnny Applesead ever made it up this way. So I'm thinking these are plantings from some original homestead in the area that is long gone. I find these old homestead apple to be very tasty and if you core out any burrowing/tunneling bugs, they make delicious apple pies OR leave the bugs in for added spice.

Do you know the variety of the apple? Many of the old apple varieties have disappeared because they did not get picked for "modern" cultivation. Not that they were bad apples but they just did not get picked and the variety dies out.

Apple seeds will produce a different tree/apple than from the parent tree. Every Red Delicious has been cloned from the first and only Red Delicious tree.

Those trees you are seeing could be an important missing "heritage" apple.

Later,
Dan

/ Roadside "harvesting"
I am reading a blog about a couple walking along a pilgrim trail in Spain. They mention taking grapes and almonds from fields as they walk past. :shocked: Not sure if this is expected/allowed but if every hiker did this, I could see the landowner taking some losses given how many walkers are on that trail. Might be just tradition to do the picking while walking too. :confused3:

Later,
Dan

Seeing as it's an established 'pilgrim' trail, the taking and/or gleaning is due to Leviticus 23:22, with a bit of Deuteronomy 24:19 thrown in for good measure.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #15  
There is an abandoned farm near me and the former owner prided himself having many apple trees.
For a number or years we'd harvest out annual needs of apples.
LOL to get the nice ones I'd have a small step ladder mounted in the jeep back.

Well last time I went to harvest a guy came up with a shot gun cradled in his arm and tole me to buzz off.
I later learned that they had a pot plantation amid the apple trees.
Needless to say I left without our annual apple quota.

Another location had black (bear) hair clinging to the tree bark.
No apples as they ate them all!

/ Roadside "harvesting" #16  
Seeing as it's an established 'pilgrim' trail, the taking and/or gleaning is due to Leviticus 23:22, with a bit of Deuteronomy 24:19 thrown in for good measure.
LOL.
..I am assuming you posted that with a sense of humor...(;
.... I'm not certain that all of the laws written for a specific group of people, at a certain point in time, are exactly applicable to a totally different culture, people, and time.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #17  
now I have harvest grass seed from the county road ditches in the past, I made a grass seed stripper and would just go down the road edge with the tractor and the harvester, and strip off the seeds, and came home and planted it in my road side ditches, (the machine does not cut the grass, it just take the seed off the stems and deposits them in a box behind the header of the machine), the county just come in in and mows it i try to get a few days before they mow it down, as that is usually when the seed is mature, the machine is not 100% so there is plenty left for reseeding the ditches where I harvest, now I have enough good grass in the ditches if need to be I can harvest my own,

/ Roadside "harvesting" #18  
years ago we had a cherry tree on one of the pieces of farm ground (form an old farmstead) and it was a race to see who could pick it, this was a few hundred yards from the road, but whom ever was picking it never asked and was a major disappointment for my mother when it was picked before we got to it, as it was on her land,

/ Roadside "harvesting" #19  

Thank you for the word "gleaning" because I was racking my head trying to remember that word. The wife's family specifically allowed the gleaning of their fields after harvest. They used the word too. :D

They pilgrim trail might allow gleaning but over 200,000 people walk at least some portion of the trail which might clear out a field quick. I did search to see if gleaning is allowed on the trail but I did not find anything. :confused3:

Later,
Dan

/ Roadside "harvesting" #20  
Happens around our area,they been know to take bale hay also from wood piles plus from stonewalls.