Robin Suburu engine mount bolts

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts
That was a funny, but I can tell you I was at the brink of #4 and seriously considering it. Needless to say I didn't have much nice to say to the person who designed that damn engine from hell into the PT.

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts
I used Ponytug's solution. I cut the piece out of the rear of the tub between the two rear lower vents. That allowed me to get my fat hands in there and get the nuts started. I really doubt the structural strength will be lessened enough to notice. I just thought that project was the worst I've ever encountered. I now have an oil leak from the hoses or fittings, somewhere around the pump. I suspect something got pinched or loosened while raising and lowering the engine. Now, I have absolutely no idea just how this is going to be fixed. I can't see where it's coming from, just a puddle inside the tub on the left side, and one on the floor where it drained out the hole in the tub bottom. I am NOT lifting that engine again.

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts #24  
I used Ponytug's solution. I cut the piece out of the rear of the tub between the two rear lower vents. That allowed me to get my fat hands in there and get the nuts started. I really doubt the structural strength will be lessened enough to notice. I just thought that project was the worst I've ever encountered. I now have an oil leak from the hoses or fittings, somewhere around the pump. I suspect something got pinched or loosened while raising and lowering the engine. Now, I have absolutely no idea just how this is going to be fixed. I can't see where it's coming from, just a puddle inside the tub on the left side, and one on the floor where it drained out the hole in the tub bottom. I am NOT lifting that engine again.
I'd suggest getting some dye that's made for tracing such leaks. Add it to the hydraulic fluid. Clean the entire engine and compartment really well and dry it out. Then run the machine for a few minutes and shut it off in a darkened room or outside at night. Then use a black light to identify where the leak is coming from.

I've used this a few times on cars and it works surprisingly well. Just don't run the machine too long or the fans will move the leaks around.

Hope that helps.

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts #25  
Curious in an inquisitive sort of way ......

What's an RS 22 with 100, maybe 200 hours or so worth?

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts #26  
Congratulations on getting it fixed! 🎉🎉 Sometimes I feel like the major triumphs in repair are hard for outsiders to appreciate. A number of the PT repairs fall into that category for me. "What did you do?" " Oh I changed a fitting on the tractor." (That took two and a half hours to get to, plus an hour figuring out how to loosen it with the tools that I have, twenty minutes to do the repair and another hour and a half to put it back together, with numerous skinned knuckles and torqued muscles trying to get into some cramped space.)

In my experience, moving the engine around would generate more than enough torque on fittings and hose ends to loosen one or more of them.

If you don't want to go down @MossRoad's dye route (but I think it is a good one), there is a lower tech alternative. I would get some wrenches and try tightening everything that is anywhere close (it is good preventative maintenance anyway), and then power wash the hoses and tub with detergent and rinse. When it is dry, dry off all of the hose ends with a rag or paper towel, and then run the tractor for ten or fifteen minutes to get warm. Usually, at that point I can see my leaks. If the leak isn't visible, try touching the underside of the hose fittings with a clean paper towel, or finger to find the oil weep.

All the best,

Peter