Rodents & Vehicles

/ Rodents & Vehicles #81  
Never had a problem with rodents in the car, but maybe something to look forward to when we are full time on the farm. Growing up our cats in the neighborhood were free roaming.one time I arrived home on a cold night to quickly grab something and head back out and got back into my little Italian sub-compact put-put car and heard a yowl when I started the ignition and saw a flash of our long hair white cat, Fred, shooting down the driveway. Turned out Fred liked to climb up into the engine compartment and settle down on a shelf designed to hold a tool box. A close exam of Fred revealed a streak of grease on his hair, but no other injury. Fred must have had plenty of lives since he got run over once (black streak down his back w/ no injuries) stared down attacking dogs (they would stop short and run away). When Fred got old he adopted a couple down the street who asked us if it was ok. He would come and visit every now and then, the last time the day he died.

/ Rodents & Vehicles
Been seven days now since I caught a rat OR shot one. No rat sign anywhere - knock on wood. Maybe I've caught the last interloper and the remainder, if any, have retreated back into the woods - where they belong. Did a favor for a neighbor two days ago - he is getting me three wild-a**ed barn cats. I've got a good home for them - plenty of dry cat food - more than enough rodents of all types, sizes, varieties and stripes. It is the cats that keep this place of mine in check - always has been - always will be. Its just that there have been no cats here for eight years and "things" get out of whack.

/ Rodents & Vehicles
Nine days and no rats or rat sign. Another chilly morning - 45F at sunrise.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #84  
My rat-catching has stopped, too, OOSIK. Nothing in the traps in more than a week. After my count got up to 20, I guess I got most of the perpetrators.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #85  
I don't have a rat , squirrel, snake problem we have 8 cats 1 dog who chases the squirrels in the trees so they don't have a chance to get to the ground and our fur kids leave us presents on the front porch. No problem with anything getting our chickens/ feed either so I'm glad to have the cats around.

/ Rodents & Vehicles
Well - its been ten days and no rats in any of the traps. My total is six. Three by trap - three by gun. I have caught two chipmunks in the rat traps in the ten intervening days though. I'm still waiting for my neighbor to bring me the three barn cats. The barn cats will have a field day with all the pocket gophers I have.

Its been long enough since I caught the last rat - the last one out in the burn barrel quit stinking two days ago.

/ Rodents & Vehicles
Its been a few days beyond a month since I've caught/shot a rat now. No rat sign - no turdlets - no nests - no digs - vehicles look pretty spiffy with their hoods at 3/4 staff.

Still think its rather strange - 6 pack/wood rats - 3 by trap, 3 by pistol. The strange part is that the three allowed me to get within 6 to 8 feet when I shot them.

Now the mice or chipmunks - - I don't even consider a gun - too quick and they always keep something in the background( vehicle, window, etc) that you don't want a stray bullet to hit.

The other nice item - - nothing has moved in to the passenger compartment on either the pickup or Jeep. I did go thru both vehicles with a fine tooth comb and then the big 'ol shop vac. My M6040 is open station so I wouldn't expect uninvited guests there.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #88  
I am up to 22, but the last 2 have been caught with conventional traps, plastic-and-steel version.