Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #1  

hube2

Veteran Member
Tractor
Masey Ferguson GC1725M
I have a metal roof.

I was up in the attic and saw snow. It is being driven under the roof cap in a couple of places. Not large. One area is about 16 inches and another is about 32 inches. Using the 16 inch on center trusses to measure.

If snow is getting in I'm sure that rain gets in as well when it is windy.

I don't expect there is anything I can until spring.

Anyway.... is there any way, or any suggestions on how I can seal these gaps without pulling up the entire cap and replacing it?

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #2  
There is supposed to be an rubber insert under the ridge cap. At least there is on my buildings. But their outbuildings and not a house. My ridge is not vented. I have no idea how they keep moisture out of a vented metal ridge.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak
There is supposed to be an rubber insert under the ridge cap. At least there is on my buildings. But their outbuildings and not a house. My ridge is not vented. I have no idea how they keep moisture out of a vented metal ridge.
It is not supposed to be vented, at least I don't think it is supposed to be vented. And I'm sure there is a rubber seal under it. But it appears it was either not installed properly or the wind actually caused it to move. Either way, the wind is pushing snow under it in 2 small locations. I just don't want to have someone pull off the entire cap to replace the seal.

moisture, including snow, has a way of finding the smallest of gaps when combined with high wind.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #5  
We call them closures down here, they are usually made out of heavy foam and have a sticky side to adhere to the metal roofing , they also make a hog hair type closure for vented ridge caps.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #6  
i think they can add them without removing ridge. As i recall the stuck them in afterwards…..
though i cant 100% be sure of this. Its been a number of years ago.

i think they can add them without removing ridge. As i recall the stuck them in afterwards…..
though i cant 100% be sure of this. Its been a number of years ago.
Yes, I watched them do mine, I remember them doing something but that was at least 10 years ago.

They do appear to be something I can put in sections where the cap is leaking with maybe just loosening the screws a bit.

It could also be the the screws have worked loose over the last 10 years now that I think about it.

Last edited:
We call them closures down here, they are usually made out of heavy foam and have a sticky side to adhere to the metal roofing , they also make a hog hair type closure for vented ridge caps.
Thanks, didn't know what to call them but found them do to knowing what to search for.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #9  
Yes, I watched them do mine, I remember them doing something but that was at least 10 years ago.

They do appear to be something I can put in sections where the cap is leaking with maybe just loosening the screws a bit.

It could also be the the screws have worked loose over the last 10 years now that I think about it.
I was gonna suggest to get in the attic and use spray foam.

I was gonna suggest to get in the attic and use spray foam.
That might also be a plan and easier than working on the roof. But if the screws are loose then that still needs to be fixed. On the other hand, the spay isolation could stop the snow blowing in.