Roof stand off for ladder help.

/ Roof stand off for ladder help. #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
My house has an open porch with a 5-6/12 pitch roof with metal roof and 5" seamless gutters. How in the world can I lean an extension ladder up against it to get on the roof without crushing the gutter. I had to climb up yesterday half a dozen times and the gutter is getting pretty beat up.

I see ladder stand-offs for leaning up against walls but cannot find anything nor do I remember seeing anything for this application. I do think using a wall stand-off over the top of the roof edge would bend that out of shape. Any ideas I can incorporate other than screwing a stand-off on the roof edge that will support a heavy duty guy?

/ Roof stand off for ladder help. #2  
I use this with my ladder against the metal roof. It stays up all of the time so that I can get to my wood stove chimney to clean the top. The brace is stable and rests on the surface of the pitched metal roofing. It holds the ladder above the roof, and above the gutter.

Amazon.com: Louisville Ladder LP-22- Stabilizer: Home Improvement
Captsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssure.JPG

Here is another brand of ladder stabilizer- does the same thing: 48589.jpg

Last edited:
   / Roof stand off for ladder help. #3  
This one looks good to me:
Ladder-Max Stand-off Stabilizer
71GhNRIuYtL._SL1042_.jpg

I may have to get one, I've always hated the spongy feeling as my gutter flexes (it's an old steel gutter and has held us so far, but...)

/ Roof stand off for ladder help. #4  
I have seen at the local roof supply house a bracket that drops down in the gutter and holds the ladder, it puts the weight on the facia board. I didn't buy one because I have shur flo gutter guards.

/ Roof stand off for ladder help. #5  
A lot of folks set up a ladder with too much angle. The proper way (angle) is to have your feet touching the rails (while standing directly in front of the ladder) and straight (horizontal) arms length when holding the rails. All of my ladders have a sticker showing this position. This will not put too much weight on the wall. If you have gutter spikes (visible head), center the ladder over one of them. Paint damage is another thing but can be avoided by a simple rag or carpet padding. If your hauling up heavy "stuff" you can fit a 5" block of wood IN the gutter at the top to prevent crushing it.

/ Roof stand off for ladder help. #8  
This one looks good to me:
Ladder-Max Stand-off Stabilizer
View attachment 510494

I may have to get one, I've always hated the spongy feeling as my gutter flexes (it's an old steel gutter and has held us so far, but...)

I have one of those, and it comes in handy for all sorts of things, both as a wall standoff and as a way to position over the top of gutters, drip edge, etc.

/ Roof stand off for ladder help.
I have a ladder max for corners (can also use on roof or wall) but after trying a Werner quick-click a roofer had, I purchased one....

Werner Quick-Click Ladder Stabilizer-AC78 - The Home Depot

Excellent product

That kind is the one I was thinking of originally but looking at it closer I would not think it would hold an upward pull from the angle of the roof with a bunch of weight on it. Thanks. I will research that type better. Werner makes good stuff usually.