Root rake grapple

/ Root rake grapple #1  

musselmark

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 NH TN75DA
Looking to buy a root rake grapple for my TN75. I have a lot of spruce brush/branches up to 3" in diameter to pile and burn. Would this be a good choice. It's built from 3/8" steel.

/ Root rake grapple #2  
Might just be me.. but the brackets that hold the tubing that tooth's slide into..look a little weak.. I've always seen them fabricated with solid plate... Welded up on all four sides down to where it holds the tooth..

1d0c40e2-208e-42d8-93dc-2fb81cebbe91~2.jpg

Other than that looks well built

/ Root rake grapple #3  
I'm with MF243RedTop - you should consider a stronger built grapple to go with your 75hp tractor. Also do something like this with your grill guard. Sticks, stobs & limbs have a nasty way of damaging your radiator, grill or battery. This is my Land Pride SGC1560 - 60" wide and 820# of AR400 steel.

IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0016.jpeg

/ Root rake grapple #4  
Looks good and HEAVY, great if your tractor has 6,000+lbs lift capacity.

I'd recommend buying something made of 1/4" AR400 instead of 3/8 mild steel plate. The AR will be lighter and stronger than the mild steel one. Heavy won't be your friend - your tractor will be lifting more bucket than roots or stumps.

Don't buy the grapple without looking at it in person first. Make sure all pins and bushings are greasable with protected zerks. If you see hair pins retaining the grapple pins don't walk but RUN AWAY.

FYI after I fab up a new AR400 grapple I'll sell you my old mild steel one. It's EXTRA HD now, lots of extra metal added in terms of welding rods and repairs.