Roots in the septic tank

/ Roots in the septic tank
Yea the pumper told me about some sort of gas that gets created that eats concrete, so in time that could be an issue. I think I will go with outside sealing, but I still need to get the ground water level below the inlet and discharge pipe level. Yes I do have a proper T setup in the discharge. It goes down about 12" or so. I didn't measure, just eyeballed it.

I am going to add a backwater valve on the discharge line because hydraulic pressure IS pushing a steady trickle of water from the discharge line back into the secondary tank, and does fill it in a couple days. So I HAVE to deal with that. But, I also have to get the ground water level below the pipes first. We have those storms coming tomorrow night so it will NOT be dry enough to seal anything for at least one day of no water on it.

I DO have enough drain to keep it from the lid seal though.

Darn, I was hoping the water softener idea would be a good one, but maybe not. I will add a french drain too.

/ Roots in the septic tank #32  
I wonder if using a water softener is enough to deter tree roots??

Many around here dump the water softener discharge right into the septic.

That would be some salt,,,

Dumping salt or brine into a septic tank is a horrible idea!
A primary purpose of the tank is to GROW bacteria to decompose the paper, and solids.
Adding salt, brine, bleach, or laundry detergent KILLS bacteria.

So has anyone here, used or heard of using Root X? It's a foaming agent that kills roots on contact (within one hour they say), and will not harm bacteria production. Their web site says approved for septic use in all 50 states. For my purposes I would basically dump in into the tank (10lbs of it) and it would foam up on contact with water, and the foam clings and coats the roots and stays on them to kill them.

If that is good I might use it on a periodic schedule to KEEP roots out.

Roots surround the lip of my tank. I have cleaned the tank in preparation to remove the roots and seal the outer edge, to hopefully keep a recurrence from happening. Currently I cannot re-do the seal on the inlet and outlet pipes because I cannot get the ground water level low enough to dry the pipes. I do have a trench going all the way to my creek now, about 150ft or so and it drains pretty well, but still need a few inches lower. I will run the french drain all the way to the creek, with perforated line around the tank, and solid the rest of the way.

There is still a little water coming from the discharge line, but has slowed up quite a bit, kinda sounds like a leaky faucet with a fast drip.

I will try to take a picture of the mess, and post it. With the help of neighbors, I have made some serious progress, but need to make more still.

/ Roots in the septic tank #34  
We used Root X in pipes. Wrong application for you. The advantage is the foam so it kills roots coming into the top of the pipe. I'm sure it would do something but the roots would come back sooner than if you used salt or something similar- salt doesn't chemically change.

/ Roots in the septic tank #35  
Dumping salt or brine into a septic tank is a horrible idea!
A primary purpose of the tank is to GROW bacteria to decompose the paper, and solids.
Adding salt, brine, bleach, or laundry detergent KILLS bacteria.

Yea,, I knew that would be a comment,, BUT
the septic tank has been in since 1979, we moved in 1982.
The month after we moved in, I installed the water softener,, wife, and two daughters DEMANDED soft water.

I had the tank pumped in ~2007,, after pumping the guy said;
"Why did you call us,, your tank is perfect, and almost no solids!!"

So,, in our case,, the salt might even be helping!! LOL!! :laughing:

/ Roots in the septic tank #37  
Would it be practical to put in a shallow well near the septic tank to collect the ground water and use a sump pump to move the water far enough away that it wouldn't be a problem ?

OK here's some pics as it sits now. The tank from a distance, we excavated around it and most of the water has drained off via the trench I dug.

Tank1_zpsor6spom8.jpg

The inlet to the tank, from the house. The vertical pipe I was told is a cleanout. I suppose.

Tank2_zpsnwr1dxdi.jpg

The discharge side. It is still about 10% under water, so I have to figure out something. I will explain later.

Tank3_zpsgloz8ohp.jpg

The start of the drain line.

Tank4_zpsbb1suuws.jpg

The top half of the drain

Tank5_zpswgj2d9hh.jpg

Now the bad news. I took this up close of the side of the tank where the top is SUPPOSED to meet the tank. It doesn't. Roots have gotten under it and lifted the tank about 1/2 to 3/4". I am lucky it didn't crack. Now I will HAVE to lift the top and remove the roots. I will also need to get another tank seal and try it again. I will seal the outside of the tank after the lid is set back down.

Tank6_zpsowjibtss.jpg

/ Roots in the septic tank #39  
Who cares if the tank halves set together correctly?
The tank is not leak-tight anyways,,
that leakage is part of your "drain field"

I purchased two brand new 1,000 gallon tanks to catch gutter run off.
The gutters fill the tanks, the water runs right out.
The tanks are buried.

Some day, I might climb in,, and "seal" the concrete tank on the inside.

A couple thousand gallons of free water would be nice in a "dry" garden,,,

/ Roots in the septic tank #40  
The roots seem like a minor issue compared to the water. A back flow valve won't make any difference.