ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!!

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #51  
As I recall, and many years of discussion here on TBN, the general consensus has always been, if you have no ROPS you shouldn't use a seatbelt, as the operator's head is going to be the pivot point if it rolls over and you may be able to jump or be thrown clear. On the other hand, if you have a ROPS, you should always use a seatbelt, as the ROPS will be the pivot point if the tractor rolls over. If you stay belted in and keep your hands gripped on the wheel, you'll most likely come out with minor bruises.

Its been discussed here several hundred times in the safety forums. There's links to videos on roll-over demonstrations. There's even been statistics on reaction times to jump clear. The odds aren't in your favor of jumping clear VS riding it out with a ROPS and seat belt.

Yes, many people have survived. However, its hardly a week goes by that we don't hear about someone being killed in a tractor roll over, be it farmer, landscaper or home owner. The safety equipment works. Its up to you to decide if you want to use it or not. I imagine its a hard thing for a loved one to find one of us dead under a tractor because we decided to not use it.

Be safe. ;)

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #52  
1) are you able to flip the scoop upside down so it stays upside down? If so , then hold the frame with the bucket so it doesn't roll on you and sledge hammer the underside (steel) as this is the easiest way to loosen concrete. I used to relief drive a concrete truck and used the technique to remove lumps of concrete when I got issued a dirty truck.
Yep. That is about the only way to get it out
As I recall, and many years of discussion here on TBN, the general consensus has always been, if you have no ROPS you shouldn't use a seatbelt, as the operator's head is going to be the pivot point if it rolls over and you may be able to jump or be thrown clear. On the other hand, if you have a ROPS, you should always use a seatbelt, as the ROPS will be the pivot point if the tractor rolls over. If you stay belted in and keep your hands gripped on the wheel, you'll most likely come out with minor bruises.

Its been discussed here several hundred times in the safety forums. There's links to videos on roll-over demonstrations. There's even been statistics on reaction times to jump clear. The odds aren't in your favor of jumping clear VS riding it out with a ROPS and seat belt.

Yes, many people have survived. However, its hardly a week goes by that we don't hear about someone being killed in a tractor roll over, be it farmer, landscaper or home owner. The safety equipment works. Its up to you to decide if you want to use it or not. I imagine its a hard thing for a loved one to find one of us dead under a tractor because we decided to not use it.

Be safe. ;)

Here is an example of a rollover demonstration showing how quickly it happens:
Note that it took less than 2 seconds to go from upright to laying on its side.

Aaron Z

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!!
1) are you able to flip the scoop upside down so it stays upside down? If so , then hold the frame with the bucket so it doesn't roll on you and sledge hammer the underside (steel) as this is the easiest way to loosen concrete. I used to relief drive a concrete truck and used the technique to remove lumps of concrete when I got issued a dirty truck. 2) I had a near rollover years ago. I got away with it because I had dual wheels on the tractor, so it went slow enough to catch by dropping the bucket.
I might be able to back up and flip the scoop vertical. Not sure though, this sucker is really heavy now. If I take it off, I may be able to turn it over with the bucket or a larger tractor. Then possibly lift it up with a boom pole so it's not flat on the ground. I like that it's in there good, But don't like that I could now never use scoop if I wanted. Also it would make it much easier to attach scoop with it out, then scoop up the concrete to put in. This is some tough 4000lb concrete that was used for pouring walls.

Last edited:
   / ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #54  
Trip it to dump, pull on the block with a chain (to put a little tension on it), then hit the metal of the scoop with a sledge to pop it loose.

Aaron Z

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #55  
I found out today it's Not coming out? Removed the forms , did a little chiseling, and taping bucket with 3 lb sledge. I hooked a chain to rebar and trailer hitch of my truck to try and pull out. All it did was drag the truck. It WILL come out at some point, just not sure best method. Any suggestions??
Meanwhile I have around 5-600 lbs ballast.

Just buy another scoop and cut your losses. I see scoops on the side of the road for sale cheap pretty regularly.

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #56  
I found out today it's Not coming out? Removed the forms , did a little chiseling, and taping bucket with 3 lb sledge. I hooked a chain to rebar and trailer hitch of my truck to try and pull out. All it did was drag the truck. It WILL come out at some point, just not sure best method. Any suggestions??
Meanwhile I have around 5-600 lbs ballast.
Did the side forms come out? Looks like they could swell up and put a squeeze on the concrete.

... If theyre out it must be stuck on the bottom. Use 3/4 plywood to protect the bucket and a min 10# sledge on the bottom. Alternately a weedburner torch on the sleel bottom would probably break if free by differential expansion promptly. ... Alternately etc - a pressure washer directed at the concrete to steel junction on the sides will cause a separation force and with or w/o a prybar applied may "float" it loose.
Dont wait. You have the best chance while the concrete is still green.
larry

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #57  

Aaron Z

Yep. And dummy man was buckled into the ROPS. There's another video out there where he isn't in the ROPs. He pops out and gets squished.

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #58  

Aaron Z
Pls note that the instant circumstance happened on near level ground ... and on a small tractor. Not comparable to what is pictured.

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!!
Did the side forms come out? Looks like they could swell up and put a squeeze on the concrete. ... If theyre out it must be stuck on the bottom. Use 3/4 plywood to protect the bucket and a min 10# sledge on the bottom. Alternately a weedburner torch on the sleel bottom would probably break if free by differential expansion promptly. ... Alternately etc - a pressure washer directed at the concrete to steel junction on the sides will cause a separation force and with or w/o a prybar applied may "float" it loose. Dont wait. You have the best chance while the concrete is still green. larry
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I would jack hammer it out before I'd buy another scoop, plus this is a pretty good one. All four cement trucks came at once, so I had to do a quickly form. The side forms did come out, but still had to chisel around the pivot bolts, and behind them towards the front of scoop. After banging the crap outta it and used a T post to pry from the front. Success! It broke free and started sliding. :) also poured a little more oil in behind it. made sure it Will come out now, and pushed it back in to use as ballast. Had to use T post and chain tensioner to pull back in and lock it In place .
Once I do take it out I can do some fine tuning on the fit.
image-4056028979.jpg

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #60  
it looks to me that in all your pics, from the rollover to the later pics, is that your ballast is very high. You have a very heavy, very high framework and the 3pt is set a lot higher than I'd carry it.

Might be something to consider in your future design plans.