ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!!

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #1  

Garycw

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 1025R w/ fel, Farm Pro 2425, ford 841 & 851
Just a reminder they are not there just to annoy us. They do save injuries and Lives!!
While moving gravel with a little JD1025 today I got to try them out :(
Bucket was low, Ballast was present and being careful. Rear wheel got in a very small rut and was all she wrote. Hold on tight and tuck in. I was very lucky today.

image-1935656079.jpg

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #2  
It looks fairly level. I dont see how that could have happened with the listed parameters. ... The seat belt was of no use, as you could have just stepped off as it rolled to spare you the jolt.

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!!
It looks fairly level. I dont see how that could have happened with the listed parameters. ... The seat belt was of no use, as you could have just stepped off as it rolled to spare you the jolt.
Looks are deceiving and to step off, easier said than done! It had a bucket full of gravel and lots of humps & ruts. I tried to correct it when felt it lifting, but was quickly beyond point of no return. If this had been in water I'd have needed a seatbelt cutter.

image-262495858.jpg

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #4  
When you are doing something like that keep the bucket as low as you can and if it starts over set the bucket down on the ground. Ed

When you are doing something like that keep the bucket as low as you can and if it starts over set the bucket down on the ground. Ed
Thanks for the tip. I guess I didn't get it down quick enough. Seemed to just have time to hold on and tuck. You just can't be too careful around tractors & equipment no matter what the size. If this had been closer to edge of new basement it'd have been a 9' drop with lots of rebar sticking up

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #6  
Just a reminder they are not there just to annoy us. They do save injuries and Lives!!
While moving gravel with a little JD1025 today I got to try them out :(
Bucket was low, Ballast was present and being careful. Rear wheel got in a very small rut and was all she wrote. Hold on tight and tuck in. I was very lucky today.

View attachment 441552

Looks are deceiving and to step off, easier said than done! It had a bucket full of gravel and lots of humps & ruts. I tried to correct it when felt it lifting, but was quickly beyond point of no return. If this had been in water I'd have needed a seatbelt cutter.

View attachment 441553
Sounds like you were moving or turning a bit too fast. That conflicts with the careful parameter. W/O seatbelt its extremely easy to step off on the low side, but carries its own risk. ... If ROPS prevents further roll youre home free and would actually fare better that the jolt from staying in the seat.

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #7  

The tractor aerodynamics is quite poor making them sensitive to cross wind.

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #8  
Glad you didn't get hurt, scary.

Yes SPY I was trying to move forward while turning. Not fast, but the wheel got in a rut and lost its balance. Didn't teeter or give much warming, gust went. I'll take the jolt of seat belt over a body part being smashed & pinned. I have larger tractors without ROPS or belts and hope I could jump, but may be wishful thinking. I'll admit I'm new to fel and learned a lesson today unharmed.
Last year I was ran over by another tractor when a wrench dropped on a starter. Luckily here to tell it.

/ ROPS & Seatbelts WORK!! #10  
I have been moaning for years that you can roll a tractor on flat ground due to ruts and soft spots when I hear people say they don't use ROPS or seatbelt because their land is flat. This is a perfect example, though I am sorry you had to go through that to make my point!! Years ago I felt a similar rollover motion starting when one side of the tractor got into some soft mud on flat ground. Luckily I didn't go over but I got the sensation.