Round tubing

/ Round tubing #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Since I welded up my trailer with round tubing, I spoke with someone (online or in person, not sure) and they told me about how to easily "notch" tubing with a cutoff saw, by setting it at "?" degree and cutting both side, and it's a near perfect fit. This is for a 90 deg angle only. Anyone know this trick and what the setting should be? I realize this is not a perfect deal but it has to be better than my last endeavor. I do not want to buy a tubing notcher, too slow.

/ Round tubing #2  
try 45 degrees on some scrap and see how it goes.

/ Round tubing #4  
There was a good wright up about this somewhere out there. I think it was pirate 4X4. And there are some online template programs that let you print a template you wrap around the tube.

You may try adding "fishmouth" to your search terms.

/ Round tubing #5  
I've never done it with a chop saw myself. A guy posted this.

Attachments

• Tube Notching with a Chop Saw.jpg
    Tube Notching with a Chop Saw.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 306
   / Round tubing #6  
I tried the fishmouth technique before I saw the video at the link DT86 put up. I had trouble getting both sides of the fishmouth even. I think I could do a better job after watching the video.

/ Round tubing #7  
Harbor Freight sells a tool/implement that makes fish mouth cuts and works with either a drill press or power drill and a set of bimetal hole saws. Does a decent job but you should make some test cuts first as the HF tool needs a bit of shimming to make perfectly accurate cuts. I've used it on 1.25" tubing and it was good enough for a chicken coop!!

/ Round tubing #8  
Island Tractor.
I've thought hard about getting one of those notchers and read the reviews. For the price, it might be better than making a jig to cut even fish mouths on my bandsaw.
You live in Rhode Island and built a chicken coop. Please tell me you have Rhode Island Reds. :)

/ Round tubing #9  
Unless you think you'll never want to notch another tube get the Harbor Freight notcher. I think they do up to a 2" pipe. I've used mine for building roll cages and other pipe projects. I just clamp the notcher in a vise and use a 1/2" drill. It can do angles past 45 degrees. I've tried pretty much every other way, from using a cutoff saw to a 4 1/2" grinder and they always left me trying to fill a gap. The first weld I did after using a notcher was a "why the f&*# did I wait so long" moment.

/ Round tubing #10  
Island Tractor. I've thought hard about getting one of those notchers and read the reviews. For the price, it might be better than making a jig to cut even fish mouths on my bandsaw. You live in Rhode Island and built a chicken coop. Please tell me you have Rhode Island Reds. :)
Of course!! Actually I just built a frame so a neighbor with the chickens could add a run on to her chicken coop. The notcher did a nice job. I get eggs in return.