Rounded off drain plug

/ Rounded off drain plug #631  
I never have had any luck with that Universal wrench displayed. I guess i should have known when I bought it.

/ Rounded off drain plug #632  
I see this version now, as well as one with a serrated jaw:

1956.jpg

Not sure how much torque they'd take, but how much torque would be needed for this plug once you got a good grip?

I have an 'Aussie' set of these... The Renovator| Better Grip and they work a treat.

Yes, I bought a set of them at the State Field Days (Ag Show), but they really do work as advertised and I reckon they'd do the trick for the OP.

/ Rounded off drain plug #633  
I have an 'Aussie' set of these... The Renovator| Better Grip and they work a treat.

Yes, I bought a set of them at the State Field Days (Ag Show), but they really do work as advertised and I reckon they'd do the trick for the OP.

I would be VERY surprised if those little buggers would work on that plug.

LARGEST NEW RIGID PIPE WRENCH THAT WILL FIT IN THE AVAILABLE SPACE! PIPE CHEATER IF NECESSARY!
THEN...STORY OVER!!

/ Rounded off drain plug #634  
It's only a bunged up drain plug, not a 2" rusty pipe. If he needs a cheater to get that out he's going to rip the oil pan off.

/ Rounded off drain plug #635  
I could get that with a 14" pipe wrench.

The concern of the threaded portion being a larger diameter than the square, which makes the pipewrench want to slip off, is a valid concern.

Trying to grip with just the edges of the jaws can cause the line-of-pull to make the wrench want to go crooked and slip.

But that concern would be addressed in about 2 minutes with a right angle grinder if my first attempt failed.

A pipewrench is MADE for gripping smooth round pipe. The harder you pull....the harder it bites. Pipe wrenches just don't slip if used properly (and a good quality one).

/ Rounded off drain plug #636  
LD1, the idea of the pipe wrench wanting to pull crooked can be addressed by putting a short 5/8" diameter bolt on the other side of the wrench to keep it square.

/ Rounded off drain plug #637  
It's only a bunged up drain plug, not a 2" rusty pipe. If he needs a cheater to get that out he's going to rip the oil pan off.

I was thinking a cheater might be necessary for overall pulling length convenience, not for additional leverage.

/ Rounded off drain plug #638  

Not likley, since it is the drain plug on the transmission:

TransDrainPlug.jpg

/ Rounded off drain plug #639  
What's in the transmission, walnuts? The last time I knew it held hydraulic fluid,which is oil.

/ Rounded off drain plug #640  
My concern with anything too long or getting too much torque is clearance and the potential of slipping off or other means of sudden release of that torque.. I like my knuckles.