Rounded off drain plug

/ Rounded off drain plug #711  
Removing with cutting torch. The outcome would be catastrophic. The instant plug is penetrated,there will be an explosion that burn's operator to death and sustained fire that destroys tractor along with anything nearby. I'm ashamed I didn't point this out earlier but better late than never. Oil mixed with oxygen can combust without source of ignition. Contemplate what happens if the combination is brought in contact with cutting flame.

YIKES :fire::fire::tractor::fire::fire:

/ Rounded off drain plug #712  
It takes more skill than you think.

Its not simply filling a hole with hot metal. You actually have to penetrate the plug. Its obvious its in tight.

I have welded to remove broken bolts and studs before with similar method of welding a nut on. 240v welder, I know what I am doing, and an in-position weld. And even then sometimes it takes more than one attempt as the weld breaks off the bolt/stud.

So an inexperienced welder + 110v machine + laying on your back welding overhead......I give it little success of working

What I said. Stickin' to it.

/ Rounded off drain plug #713  
What I said. Stickin' to it.

"Fill an overhead hole with hot metal, with a $100 - 110v wire feed, with no expertise, in just a couple of minutes, and will get the job done"

Stick to whatever you want....dont mean its right.

"can" it be done as you describe (no experience and all).....yea, maybe, but the odds of it actually getting the job done.....pretty slim. Maybe Kando would be the one in a million??

/ Rounded off drain plug #715  

Its not simply filling a hole with hot metal. You actually have to penetrate the plug. Its obvious its in tight.

I have welded to remove broken bolts and studs before with similar method of welding a nut on. 240v welder, I know what I am doing, and an in-position weld. And even then sometimes it takes more than one attempt as the weld breaks off the bolt/stud.

So an inexperienced welder + 110v machine + laying on your back welding overhead......I give it little success of working

There is no problem welding the plug with a 110V machine. ( I have a 110v machine with 160 amp, argon CO2 that will wild that easily). And laying one one's back welding overhead is not a problem especially with a MIG ...all providing the first part of your sentence is remedied. The inexperienced welder negates to other two thoughts! That's why I suggested "if he knows someone who has ..." He indicated early on he did not weld.

/ Rounded off drain plug #716  

DITTO !!!

/ Rounded off drain plug #717  
You could have ordered one of these from amazon for $15, removed the plug with it 1 time AND used it for its intended purpose (pictured) at least 6 times by now. 20181121_223535.jpeg20181121_223612.jpeg

/ Rounded off drain plug
You could have ordered one of these from amazon for $15, removed the plug with it 1 time AND used it for its intended purpose (pictured) at least 6 times by now.View attachment 579936View attachment 579937

I actually found a 6" ridgid in my toolbox that I don't remember buying. Ordered an 8" one that was delivered today. With time off work for the holiday I'll work on getting a flat spot on each side of the plug to stick the pipe wrench on.

/ Rounded off drain plug #719  
I actually found a 6" ridgid in my toolbox that I don't remember buying. Ordered an 8" one that was delivered today. With time off work for the holiday I'll work on getting a flat spot on each side of the plug to stick the pipe wrench on.
Cool.

I would try getting a good grip without removing any material. You can always remove more, it will be exceedingly difficult to replace any that didn't need removing.

Find a good size pipe or conduit to give you some leverage. Be sure to have room to turn it while it does it's grippy thing. I would grab as high up against the pan as possible.

Maybe watch some yoo toob and try it out somewhere easy to get at just to know what to expect?

The teeth, especially new, will grip the **** out of and scar up anything. It's either gonna come on out or snap off (very extremely highly doubtful it snaps).

And don't get nervous or worry that will mess you up. Worst case, you gotta take it somewhere and pay $100 to get it welded on or drilled out.

It could be worse and your wife could mad at you.

/ Rounded off drain plug #720  

Do not hurry on our account, we need threads like this to disagree over. :thumbsup:

Seriously, git-er-done :cool2: