RSA1201 Rotary Tiller Seal and Bearing Replacement - Can I add a zerk?

/ RSA1201 Rotary Tiller Seal and Bearing Replacement - Can I add a zerk? #1  

Yanmar F15D

Tractor
Yanmar F15D Forte
While I was replacing my axle seal on my F15D, the tiller sprung a leak.
I replaced seals on both sides, and both sides the seals were in horrible condition. They were shredded. The bearing on the right side was shot, too. I updated the bearing with an 2RS series to help prevent the elements from seeping in and ruining it again. This is more of me sharing but I was also curious if anyone has ever added a zerk fitting (grease fitting) to the cap piece (circled in yellow) as I could see it being extremely helpful in maintain that side of the tiller.
Also, due to time restraints I applied Permatex Ultra Black RTV gasket maker on both parts where a gasket usually goes. Am I going to regret this decision? Most of the parts are OEM Yanmar parts but the gaskets would take a week to get here and cost about nearly 3 times the Permatex.

Attachments

• 20240519_140329.jpg
    20240519_140329.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20240519_225422.jpg
    20240519_225422.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20240519_232907.jpg
    20240519_232907.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 20240520_064928.jpg
    20240520_064928.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 20240519_145616.jpg
    20240519_145616.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240519_145621.jpg
    20240519_145621.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
   / RSA1201 Rotary Tiller Seal and Bearing Replacement - Can I add a zerk? #2  
While I was replacing my axle seal on my F15D, the tiller sprung a leak.
I replaced seals on both sides, and both sides the seals were in horrible condition. They were shredded. The bearing on the right side was shot, too. I updated the bearing with an 2RS series to help prevent the elements from seeping in and ruining it again. This is more of me sharing but I was also curious if anyone has ever added a zerk fitting (grease fitting) to the cap piece (circled in yellow) as I could see it being extremely helpful in maintain that side of the tiller.
Also, due to time restraints I applied Permatex Ultra Black RTV gasket maker on both parts where a gasket usually goes. Am I going to regret this decision? Most of the parts are OEM Yanmar parts but the gaskets would take a week to get here and cost about nearly 3 times the Permatex.
Long as other items will not bump nor damage the zerk once it's on the dome shape.

About the Permatex Ultra Black RTV gasket maker, I would of done the same thing. You picked the correct type too. At times, I've seen people use the red instead, making a big mess.

I recall reading on of the Yanmar tiller manuals, can't recall what model, yet they all are generally the same for the sprockets and chain in the housing. It says to fill 2/3rds full with a liquid grease. Thicker than oil, yet not like wheel bearing grease. NLGI-1 possibly? Lithium #1 grease fits this description.

1716171998178.png

/ RSA1201 Rotary Tiller Seal and Bearing Replacement - Can I add a zerk? #3  
Decades ago when the Yanmar tillers was popular. I had a 1-1/2 hr. Drive to get one. The last one Fredricks had then. The model was Gear not chain driven RS. 1400. Big plus! I think the chain links are removeable when they stretch? Just like a bike chain. They take Reg. maintanence With use Esp. if it's not a small backyard garden. Tine wear also. They're rice patty tillers so hard dirt is rough on them. Tines for most of the models Fredricks has. I"ve heard before of adding a small 3rd. tension wheel spring loaded. Couldn't be much to it?

/ RSA1201 Rotary Tiller Seal and Bearing Replacement - Can I add a zerk? #4  
I think adding a grease fitting on that cap is a wise move and I'm surprised it didn't have one from factory. The Kubota RS1000 tiller I had with, had a grease fitting there and so does nearly all tillers I've seen.

Just keep in mind to not over grease it or it will push the seal out.

For this grease to be effective, you would have had to pull of one of shields out of the bearing so the grease could go where it belongs. Otherwise, you may as well leave it as is without the grease fitting.

/ RSA1201 Rotary Tiller Seal and Bearing Replacement - Can I add a zerk? #5  
Had to be around 2009, This came up often also so I Checked it. Real easy!

Attachments

• Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    962.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 97

Main cap and bearing. It was in good shape. RS1400 ASIS we had to dig it out of a back building INK.... With new tines it did work really well on a small garden. Rice patty water would help keep it clean is my guess. No grease or Zerk?

Last edited:
   / RSA1201 Rotary Tiller Seal and Bearing Replacement - Can I add a zerk? #6  
I wouldn't put a zerk there because of all of the dirt and debris it is exposed to.

Once you go to 2RS, the zerk would only damage the seals by greasing, as @ptsg points out above.

All the best,

Peter

/ RSA1201 Rotary Tiller Seal and Bearing Replacement - Can I add a zerk? #7  
My tiller also has a grease fitting there. I always clean it with a can of carb cleaner before greasing. If you just wipe it off there us always a minute bit of dirt left which will eventually eat the bearings.

/ RSA1201 Rotary Tiller Seal and Bearing Replacement - Can I add a zerk?
Thanks all. I will hold off on adding a zerk for now. I thought I'd test out the 2RS this time around. If it doesn't work out it isn't too challenging to replace the bearing. If I have to go back to an open bearing, I will look more into adding a zerk at that time.