Rubber hose replacement schedule

/ Rubber hose replacement schedule #1  

Lunchbag

Tractor
Yanmar SA324
Another thing in the SA series manual that got my attention was the statement that hydraulic hoses, fuel hoses, power steering hoses, radiator hoses, and air intake hoses should be replaced every 2 years. What a needy tractor. Does anyone do this?

/ Rubber hose replacement schedule #3  
I only replace hoses when they leak.

/ Rubber hose replacement schedule #4  
In my 50+ years around heavy equipment never heard of replacing hoses every two years. Always stuck with the idea that if a hose is leaking or showing signs of age it gets replaced. Know of some tractors with 15 year old hoses still running every harvest season.
Even with aircraft we had a seven year hose life.

/ Rubber hose replacement schedule #5  
That’s stupid. Change them when they blow.

/ Rubber hose replacement schedule #6  
Still good on our 240D Benz at 26 years. These are just the radiator and heater hoses. No hydraulic hoses on it.

Last edited:
   / Rubber hose replacement schedule #7  
Another thing in the SA series manual that got my attention was the statement that hydraulic hoses, fuel hoses, power steering hoses, radiator hoses, and air intake hoses should be replaced every 2 years. What a needy tractor. Does anyone do this?

Last winter I had a front end loader OEM hydraulic hose spring a small leak on a 1986 Ford 1310 with a Ford 770A loader.
Replaced all four in the same area.

35 years before failing.

/ Rubber hose replacement schedule #8  
I only replace hoses when they leak.
As do most operators!

HOWEVER, many manuals tend to suggest shelf life for most rubber components. 5 year life is common. Actually even tires have date codes.
Cities and gov't's tend to live by those rules hence auctions for perfectly good items.
Our city renews trucks B4 5 years simply because inspection agencies tend to snag all those 'life dated' items and that would get very costly.
Examples are brake lines, hydraulic and coolant hoses. (and tires)

So private contractors get bargains every 5 years and bid on that same city's contracts with their old equipment. (LOL, barely used at that)
Often seen is a fully equipped 4-5 year old plow truck with 20,000 kms sold for 15-20% of new price.
OK, rusty but nothing that TLC and paint can't fix. (and hoses when and if needed)

Last edited:
   / Rubber hose replacement schedule #9  
Big difference between 6-10 year old tires on any highway vehicle and hoses on a tractor at a 2 year change interval.
Any sort of municipal or government owned vehicle or equipment takes the discussion far away from reality.

/ Rubber hose replacement schedule #10  
As do most operators!

HOWEVER, many manuals tend to suggest shelf life for most rubber components. 5 year life is common. Actually even tires have date codes.
Cities and gov't's tend to live by those rules hence auctions for perfectly good items.
Our city renews trucks B4 5 years simply because inspection agencies tend to snag all those 'life dated' items and that would get very costly.
Examples are brake lines, hydraulic and coolant hoses. (and tires)

So private contractors get bargains every 5 years and bid on that same city's contracts with their old equipment. (LOL, barely used at that)
Often seen is a fully equipped 4-5 year old plow truck with 20,000 kms sold for 15-20% of new price.
OK, rusty but nothing that TLC and paint can't fix. (and hoses when and if needed)
Tires are a safety issue. A loader lift arm hose is not.