Run 15W-40 or 10W-30

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #1  

tcreeley

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TC30
I always have used Mastergold 10W-30 year round in my 2003 TC30. Never a problem. I went and bought some hydraulic and engine oil a few days ago and drained the engine oil today. When I went to fill it up I saw they had thrown in 15W-40 instead of 10W-30. I stuck it in, (needed to use the tractor) but I am wondering about the temperature range on the 15W-40. Winters can routinely stay at 0 and go below. I plow with my tractor and plug it in.
I'm thinking I'll change it out 1st couple of weeks in Dec- but I've never used this weight oil before. Has anyone used it in their tractor? How about in colder areas? I've often wondered if I shouldn't be using 5W-30 during the winter.
What do people use?
Looked all over online and this site- finding nothing.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #2  
Of course I'm in Texas with a different climate, but I used 15W-40 in my tractors, as did everyone I knew.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #3  
Owners Manual. Check the recommended temperature ranges. I always stay within the recommendations because each engine type can be different and I would hate to second guess the designers.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #4  
I always have used Mastergold 10W-30 year round in my 2003 TC30. Never a problem. I went and bought some hydraulic and engine oil a few days ago and drained the engine oil today. When I went to fill it up I saw they had thrown in 15W-40 instead of 10W-30. I stuck it in, (needed to use the tractor) but I am wondering about the temperature range on the 15W-40. Winters can routinely stay at 0 and go below. I plow with my tractor and plug it in.
I'm thinking I'll change it out 1st couple of weeks in Dec- but I've never used this weight oil before. Has anyone used it in their tractor? How about in colder areas? I've often wondered if I shouldn't be using 5W-30 during the winter.
What do people use?
Looked all over online and this site- finding nothing.

Per my T1510 manual (basically the same tractor you have)...
4*C to 49* (40*F to 120*) SAE 30W
-12*C to 49*C (10*F to 120*F) SAE 15W-40
-23*C to 49*C (-10*F to 120*F) SAE 10W-30
-29*C to 15*F (-20*F to 60*F) SAE 5W-30

NOTE: Tractors are originally shipped with 10W-30

I think you'd be better off staying with the 10W-30 (bold print above ) than dropping down to the 5W-30

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #5  
Creeley with the coming global warming this winter, you should be all set. No need to change it out. You are always telling us how hot it is in Maine. Hardly a day goes by you don't mention how "the pot is boiling fellas". I would say you have the correct weight of oil now.:laughing:

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #6  
The lower end of the ambient temp scale is immaterial if the tractor is plugged in. I would agree that 10W-30 is a better choice, but I also see no reason to dump brand new oil just to make a viscosity change.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #7  
At those temps I would consider synthetic . I'm glad to see you have the common sense to use the tractor's block heater .

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30
Creeley with the coming global warming this winter, you should be all set. No need to change it out. You are always telling us how hot it is in Maine. Hardly a day goes by you don't mention how "the pot is boiling fellas". I would say you have the correct weight of oil now.:laughing:

Now that is an idea, I could save a little money by not plugging it in and switch to 20W-50. The thick stuff doesn't need to be changed as often (lasts as good as the tar on the roof!), and if it was ever sluggish, a little diesel in the oil and Marvel Mystery oil in the diesel. Now I should have thought of that!:D

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #9  
I say use it for this winter, and save some $ and time. For the few days( not nights) central Maine is below 0F combined with the rarity that you will actualy cold start the tractor when it's <1F make it even rarer. It pretty much doesn't snow when it's that cold.
You also have a block heater, and also, once warmed up, the oil "sees" the engine's radiator thermostat temp, not the air temp.
Good to go. no worries.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #10  
I used 0w30 in my last tractor. Can't get it any more but can get the Castrol GTX 5w30 at Advance Auto now, like I use in my VW TDI. Wish I could get Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, but only available online and pricey. So, when the 50 hr change comes up, I'll likely use the Castrol 5w30 for the tractor and for my diesel generator. Unless you routinely get days past 86 F, it fits the temperature charts.

Ralph