Run 15W-40 or 10W-30

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #11  
I have been using Shell Rotella T Synthetic, 5W-40, year round in my 40D for over 12 years now and in my 1720 for many before that, here in Southern Michigan. No block heater.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #12  
Since you say you use a block heater all the time, I don't think you need to remove the 15W-40. The lower weight is only necessary for cold startup and since your engine block should be about 80+F then the 15W is all you need. Now you wont need to change it for summer weather either. Just keep the block heater going for 3-4 hours if inside storage or overnight it outside and you should be fine.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #13  
I always have used Mastergold 10W-30 year round in my 2003 TC30. Never a problem. I went and bought some hydraulic and engine oil a few days ago and drained the engine oil today. When I went to fill it up I saw they had thrown in 15W-40 instead of 10W-30. I stuck it in, (needed to use the tractor) but I am wondering about the temperature range on the 15W-40. Winters can routinely stay at 0 and go below. I plow with my tractor and plug it in.
I'm thinking I'll change it out 1st couple of weeks in Dec- but I've never used this weight oil before. Has anyone used it in their tractor? How about in colder areas? I've often wondered if I shouldn't be using 5W-30 during the winter.
What do people use?
Looked all over online and this site- finding nothing.

I live in Wesern Montana and use 15W40 in all our diesel powered tractors. I also use a block heater in the winter.Our temps can get to -40F but that's rare. Single didgit temps are pretty common. I never have had a starting problem using the block heaters. I have the heaters on a timer and they turn on 2 hrs before feeding time.
Given the fact that you have a block heater and use it, I wouldn't worry about using 15W40 oil.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #14  
I'd run it out but change to the proper weight as the winter gets colder, don't throw away good oil it won't hurt to use it.

Even here in southernish Maine it won't be long before 0 degrees F will be a thaw, and the machinery will never get to 32 degrees without starting or plugging them in. Nominal warm temps will run around 15 to low 20's.

Run that 15 weight for a while, if we get a cold spell let the oil heat up at idle before putting a load on it.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #15  
Since I started using Shell Rotella 15W40 in my diesel engines I haven't bothered to switch in winter, even though it gets down to -40 here. If it's not plugged in, a diesel engine isn't going to start at -20, regardless of the viscosity of the oil.

Out of convenience I also use the 15W40 in my Massey Harris 30. The previous owner used it in the recently rebuilt engine, and I never changed. It starts in winter pretty well.

For my 17 hp Bolens diesel and Polaris Ranger TM, I use Rotella 5W40 (synthetic) with mixed results. If it's really cold, neither of these will go unless they have spent the night in the heated shop.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #16  
Now that is an idea, I could save a little money by not plugging it in and switch to 20W-50. The thick stuff doesn't need to be changed as often (lasts as good as the tar on the roof!), and if it was ever sluggish, a little diesel in the oil and Marvel Mystery oil in the diesel. Now I should have thought of that!:D

You are not saving money by not plugging the coolant heater in for a couple of hours prior to cold starts. The block heater is as much or more about reduced electrical system wear, reduced cold engine startup wear, improved fuel efficiency and instant heat to the windshield defroster. As is it about "starting".With the added bonous of not wasting fuel idling to warm up.

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30
I'll watch the temps and have the 10W 30 ready- I hate trying something new when what I used to do works. There is always that day the electricity goes out and there is a foot of fresh snow on the ground, and it is 5 below!
(before I came to Maine from Mass., I was convinced it couldn't snow below 20F. I soon found out how wrong I was!)

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #18  
You are not saving money by not plugging the coolant heater in for a couple of hours prior to cold starts. The block heater is as much or more about reduced electrical system wear, reduced cold engine startup wear, improved fuel efficiency and instant heat to the windshield defroster. As is it about "starting".With the added bonous of not wasting fuel idling to warm up.

i've seen 10w30 C rated.. but don't see 20w50 c rated.. anyone see that? is it more northern like the 10w30 c ?

/ Run 15W-40 or 10W-30 #19  
I usually use 10w30 all year round.

Except last winter when I bought 15w40 by mistake and put it in the engine. I have had no trouble (I plug the engine block heater 30min before starting), the outside temp here in Quebec is similar to what you have in Maine.

But this year, I came back to 10w30.