Running Power to Detached Garage

/ Running Power to Detached Garage
Why is it Code to put the panel outside the house?

The fire department must be able to access the panel to shut down power and circuits. You can put a padlock on it but of course, they would just cut it in an emergency.

/ Running Power to Detached Garage #12  
But they don't need the whole panel outside to do that. All they need is Service Disconnect switch/breaker.

Meter >>> SDS >>> Main panel.

/ Running Power to Detached Garage #13  
I would also run at least a cat5e wire for internet
But not in the same conduit as the power cable.
I would go with cat6e and I'd use underground cat6e in the conduit. The underground cable has a gel inside the jacket to prevent water intrusion and the conduit WILL fill up with water (unless, maybe, you live in a desert). I would also go with conduit even with direct bury cable. It is easier to repair the cable if needed and better protects the cable against damage from digging or critters.

/ Running Power to Detached Garage #15  
But they don't need the whole panel outside to do that. All they need is Service Disconnect switch/breaker.
A falling tree/limb hit the incoming power on two different friend's houses. Each time it ripped the weatherhead and panel off the wall. Better to have that stuff sparking outside than in.

/ Running Power to Detached Garage #16  
The cost of conduit and boxes is so small compared to trenching and backfill that I'd put everything in up front. Larger electrical PVC conduit for main power service, smaller for CAT 5/6 or alarm system, etc. I'd also put 1" water schedule 40 PVC even if you think you will never, never, never need it.

Funny how sometimes down the road you do need it. I'd terminate everything with boxes on each end so you could pull future wires through in case you think of something new.

/ Running Power to Detached Garage #17  

Meter >>> SDS >>> Main panel.
If you have meter > disconnect > panel, the service disconnect is considered the main and everything else after that is considered a sub-panel, and the neutral and grounds have to be isolated.

/ Running Power to Detached Garage #18  
How far apart is the shop from the house? I’d run a 100 amp circuit. You can buy 100 amp aluminum for about the same price ( edit that used to be true, but it looks like the copper is more than twice as expensive now) as 6 gauge copper that’s only good for half the load.

Last edited:
   / Running Power to Detached Garage #19  
The cost of conduit and boxes is so small compared to trenching and backfill that I'd put everything in up front. Larger electrical PVC conduit for main power service, smaller for CAT 5/6 or alarm system, etc. I'd also put 1" water schedule 40 PVC even if you think you will never, never, never need it.

Funny how sometimes down the road you do need it. I'd terminate everything with boxes on each end so you could pull future wires through in case you think of something new.

Have you priced conduit lately? It’s not exactly what I would call insignificant.

Last edited:
   / Running Power to Detached Garage #20  
Have you priced conduit lately. It’s not exactly what I would call insignificant.
I confess I have not priced conduit lately. So I have no clue on the cost of that. But I will know this summer ... I have a few thousand feet to run .... yikes!

But I still say that from one building to another, not a huge distance, any cost for conduit is cheap compared to trenching and backfill. YMMV. :)