Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE
The braided hoses at the sediment bowl, one from the tank and the other out to the lift pump or main fuel filter? Simple enough...

Where does the non-braided line come from/go to? Without seeing the whole system, I would guess it is a return line from the injectors or injector pump?

The depression in the top of the cast housing for the sediment bowl appears to be just a place where it could be drilled and tapped for another fitting that is not needed on your tractor. Quite possible the manufacturer only has one casting that it uses for many different installations. I have seen sediment bowls that had a water sensor in them. That might be one use for a fitting in that location.

Yes, you’re right re the hoses. The brained ones go from tank to filter and then out to injector (I’m in a quandary re the lift pump though as I think it appeared in 1999 and my unit was likely built in 1998 since it was purchased Aug ‘99. Plus, the big repair manual doesn’t reference a lift pump.

The other two lines attached to the filter housing: one goes back up to tank and runs freely and the second one comes back from the engine (injector pump?)

Ok, thanks for comment re the indentation of cap; that makes sense. Problem is I just can’t get very close to these thing with the FEL hoses and arms in the way. It is really irritating.

fascinating. seen with gas engines with bad head gasket or cracked head.

Any oil in antifreeze or oil getting fuller?

pop radiator cap and see if you see bubbles before it dies?

remove thermostat and see if results change?

defeat shut down solenoid and see if results change?

Best,

ed

Hi, yes yes the coolant level in the overflow reservoir (with lines indicating ‘add’ and ‘full’) rises a few inches as engine warms up but not to the point it overflows into the tube at top at which point I guess it just would drain to ground.

I am waiting for an air filter and the one in tractor was installed 2017. Plus this tractor does all the bush hogging work so it does get dusty. I’m praying that it arrives tomorrow and miraculously resolves this problem (a long shot) before I have to replace the fuel lines as others have now suggested. It will be a pain but if that fixes it I will be very happy.

Re removing thermostat, I guess a new one wouldn’t be too expensive.

I may just flush the radiator since it hasn’t been done in years…

Danica

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #73  
Hi, yes yes the coolant level in the overflow reservoir (with lines indicating ‘add’ and ‘full’) rises a few inches as engine warms up but not to the point it overflows into the tube at top at which point I guess it just would drain to ground.

I am waiting for an air filter and the one in tractor was installed 2017. Plus this tractor does all the bush hogging work so it does get dusty. I’m praying that it arrives tomorrow and miraculously resolves this problem (a long shot) before I have to replace the fuel lines as others have now suggested. It will be a pain but if that fixes it I will be very happy.

Re removing thermostat, I guess a new one wouldn’t be too expensive.

I may just flush the radiator since it hasn’t been done in years…

Danica
Cool,

While awaiting the air filter, pull the old one and blow it out (careful not to puncture). Certainly replace the thermo if you would like, I would pull it and see how it runs without it, based on the problem seems to coincide with coming up to op temp.

Best,

ed

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #74  
In that first picture, the top right rubber hose looks to be completely perished [cracked and swelled]. You definitely should replace all those hoses and vacuum lines.
Good point GCM about replacing the vacuum lines as well. There are none on my Mahindra so didn't think of that. Good call on your part. (y)

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #75  
Thank you! And my oh my taking that wheel off must’ve been fun. Yikes. Yes I will go to Napa and replace them all.
Danica
You're quite welcome. And yes, it was a bit nerve-wracking removing that wheel and rolling it to the wall and back to remount it. If we dropped it, it would have required another tractor to lift it vertical. Fortunately I have some friendly helpful neighbors and the 3 of us got it off easily (no rust). To remount the wheel, one of the original helpers invited another friend/neighbor to join us. He is a strapping young man who works for UPS maintaining their trucks. He pretty much did the remount job himself while we lent a little bit of help here and there. He even torqued the lug nuts.
Good luck with the fuel/vacuum line swap.
Hopefully, that will be the fix.
If not, at least you won't have to worry about collapsing/crumbling fuel lines in the future.(y)

Ng

Last edited:
   / Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #76  
Since you mentioned using the tractor for bush hogging, is there any chance your rad is plugged with debris just enough to let you run for 10-20 minutes, depending on rpm, and then a temp sensor is shutting your tractor down, until it cools down enough to run again, for another 10-20 minutes ? I would remove rad, and give it a good external cleaning, between the fins. Seems like it is definitely high temp. related to me. It is definitely a good idea to change all fuel hoses, as others have mentioned, they do get old and break down, causing running issues.

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #77  
Have you had an opportunity to look into the fuel tank when empty?
Could there be some obstruction that rolls over the outlet?
it is not impossible that you could have a biofilm slug that, over a period of years, grew on the biofuels that we are all forced to use, and it is loose in the tank and somehow covers the fuel outlet.

Cool,

While awaiting the air filter, pull the old one and blow it out (careful not to puncture). Certainly replace the thermo if you would like, I would pull it and see how it runs without it, based on the problem seems to coincide with coming up to op temp.

Best,

ed

Got the new one today, installed it and it has been running at 1,500rpm for about 10 min. If it keeps going past the 20 min mark, problem solved. Otherwise back to the drawing board.

You're quite welcome. And yes, it was a bit nerve-wracking removing that wheel and rolling it to the wall and back to remount it. If we dropped it, it would have required another tractor to lift it vertical. Fortunately I have some friendly helpful neighbors and the 3 of us got it off easily (no rust). To remount the wheel, one of the original helpers invited another friend/neighbor to join us. He is a strapping young man who works for UPS maintaining their trucks. He pretty much did the remount job himself while we lent a little bit of help here and there. He even torqued the lug nuts.
Good luck with the fuel/vacuum line swap.
Hopefully, that will be the fix.
If not, at least you won't have to worry about collapsing/crumbling fuel lines in the future.(y)

Ng

Good point, I will replace the lines regardless. Am waiting with baited breath as the new air filter arrived today and I installed it. Tractor has been running about 10 min but if problem is still there in won’t start happening for another 10-15 min. On edge of seat…

Have you had an opportunity to look into the fuel tank when empty?
Could there be some obstruction that rolls over the outlet?
it is not impossible that you could have a biofilm slug that, over a period of years, grew on the biofuels that we are all forced to use, and it is loose in the tank and somehow covers the fuel outlet.

I agree that is a possibility but as it dies down and pulled the fuel line from filter housing and it was streaming out no problem. This has led me to thing it is not clogged in tank but the theory certainly makes sense.