RV surge protection

/ RV surge protection #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
I need your thoughts on RV surge protection.
I have had a bumper pull 28 years. I just bought a new bumper pull, 50 amp service.
I am currently buying all the stuff I need to go with it.
Do you think I need a surge suppressor?
If so,
Cord plug-in or permanently mounted?
What features?
Prices very greatly. Name brand or not?

/ RV surge protection #2  
I think you need one. I have a permanent mount Progressive EMS and it is the gold standard for RV surge protection. It is also the most expensive. However, it comes with a lifetime warranty and when I called for installation help, an engineer answered on the second ring and he knew the product inside and out. The progressive unit also protects against brown outs and will cut out if the pedestal voltage drops below 108v. As you may know, the lower the voltage, the more amps required to run an appliance. More amps means more heat and more heat will quickly destroy a/c units, microwaves, and fridges. I've been to several parks where there have been low voltage issues, usually when the weather was really hot or cold and everybody's rv was running their a/c's or heaters at the same time. Parks also have a large network of underground utilities. A near lightning strike can enter the network at many locations and cause a surge on your pedestal. The surge can fry many things in your rv. Many of them are expensive and some are a real bear to change out. I had a Surge Guard for my last rv that plugs in at the pedestal. It was much cheaper but didn't protect against brownouts. I've never heard of anyone getting one stolen and you can secure a portable one by wrapping a cable around it and the pedestal and putting a lock on it. The Progressive has a display that will tell you the voltage on each line and give you an error code if problems are encountered (like low voltage, improper ground, etc). If I bought one again, it would be a Progressive.

/ RV surge protection #4  
Surge arrestors are good thing when your expectations are with in their design criteria. Will a surge protect from a lightning strike near by, MAYBE is the best answer. They all have ratings and please ignore all of the insurance policies some tout. It is impossible to prove that your equipment was harmed by an specific event, unless you have the data recorders to prove it. Best place for the arrester is at the shore panel feeding your trailer. The NEC says to do surge correctly you must cover 2 of the 3 adjacent areas of service. I use a panel mounted one in my service and then point of use where ever I want to protect something.
Now for the bad news, all surge arrestors use some form of MOV, metal oxide varistor. By standard they are tested once, not twice, ONCE. So if your arrestor sees a surge 1/2 of its rating is it still ok, MAYBE. I replace the outside one every two years, cause I live in a semi heavy lightning area during the monsoons. I replace the point of use every 3 years. Have not replaced any electronic equipment since starting this program.

I do not see a brand name entering into your equation. Read the specs and pick the one with the highest rating for your service cord. You will be amazed that more money does not necessarily translate into more protection. Forget about anything that indicates speed. Speed of light is pretty quick and nothing I know of will deal with it. The only difference in a electrical voltage spike and surge is the time it takes to reach the peak, usually measured in pico or micro seconds again pretty quick.
If you do not have an VOM, volt ohm meter I suggest you get one and learn how to use it. Plugging into someone distribution system in a park they have certain requirements that need to be met, weather they do or not is your responsibility. I got to a park once and ran on batteries and my generator cause I did not like the voltage fluctuations. Stayed over night and moved on.

/ RV surge protection
Thanks for the replies so far.

Like I said I have had a RV for 28 years. I have never used a surge protector. I have gone though 3 AC units, and 1 refrigerator igniter, 2 power supplies/battery chargers, 2 TV's, and 4 VCR's.
Can't say the igniter was related to the electric supply, but the rest could have been. If all of this had gone out at one time then I could relate it directly to the power. But, because 28 years is a long time, how much was just worn out and how much was accelerated wear due to poor power?

I did not know surge protectors got used up. In the even they do their work and protect equipment, how does one know, and how does one know to replace the surge protector?
I suppose surge protectors that are on the high, will tell you that they had interrupted service, but does that mean , once they do interrupt service, that it would be prudent to replace them with a new one?

/ RV surge protection #6  
I have always had one of those cheap voltmeters that plug into an outlet so I can tell at a glance what the voltage is.

/ RV surge protection
I have always had one of those cheap voltmeters that plug into an outlet so I can tell at a glance what the voltage is.

I always have one but I have never thought about checking the voltage at the RV site. Now that I got the new trailer I am putting a lot more thought into things.

/ RV surge protection #8  
Here is another vote for the Progressive EMS (50 amp). Pricing varies a bit but Tweety's seems to have the best pricing.

/ RV surge protection
The Progressive EMS has been ordered.
Thanks for the input.

/ RV surge protection #10  
I always have one but I have never thought about checking the voltage at the RV site. Now that I got the new trailer I am putting a lot more thought into things.

I check plugged in voltage in RV and I always like to check my gen voltage too when it is running.
Never know when that could be a problem.