RV water heater - Propane Problem solved

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
Thought this might be of help to others.

While living in an RV part-time to build a house, filling the propane tank is a 60-mile round trip (added cost) just to have hot water.

I just installed an electric conversion kit and it is working great. Under a $100 and I can use propane if I need a boost while on vacation.

On/off switch is on the bedroom wall. The pigtail is tucked inside the plumbing cargo area so I can plug it in directly to an outside source so I am not using up available watts from RV. While installing, I added some Reflective insulation (there was none) to the furnace and water heater areas.

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved #2  
they do work well, the only down side is they have to be removed to clean out some tanks..

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved #3  
Mmmmm, I have 2 RVs, both have propane AND electric water heaters.... Our old 2014 RV had both also. These are all travel trailers, I wonder if that makes a difference.....

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved
Mmmmm, I have 2 RVs, both have propane AND electric water heaters.... Our old 2014 RV had both also. These are all travel trailers, I wonder if that makes a difference.....
No, my manuf. was just being cheap.

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved #5  
Probably.... I could never figure out that the manufacturer will go way beyond upgrades on some nonessential things, then put the cheapest essential component that is really needed.....

I think it is part of "planned obsolescence", or to make us buy upgrades.

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved #6  
it was not common in earlier trailers. my MH from 2000 didn't have it, and it was not a cheap motorhome.

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved #7  
I was surprised to learn that the manufacturers are doing away with most of the 2 and 3 way refrigerators...... only using 12v refers now. Apparently too many fires caused when using them in propane mode. Both of our new trailers (2020 and 2022) have 12v refers.

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved #8  
I was surprised to learn that the manufacturers are doing away with most of the 2 and 3 way refrigerators...... only using 12v refers now. Apparently too many fires caused when using them in propane mode. Both of our new trailers (2020 and 2022) have 12v refers.
wow thats flat out shitty. refers use a ton of power.

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved #9  
One upgrade I already did on the 2020 was changing the water heater to an "on demand" tankless. Best upgrade ever! But, no electric backup.....
I hope I won't regret putting it in.

/ RV water heater - Propane Problem solved #10  
One upgrade I already did on the 2020 was changing the water heater to an "on demand" tankless. Best upgrade ever! But, no electric backup.....
I hope I won't regret putting it in.
on demand seem to be pretty negatively viewed for rv's. glad its working out for you.