SA424 with skid steer quick attach

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #1  

REMc

Tractor
None
I want to purchase a compact tractor around 25 HP with larger tires. The SA424 is EXACTLY what I would like to purchase except for one thing, it does not come with skid steer quick attach on the front end loader. Many other manufactures (Kubota and Massey Ferguson just to name two) make a 25 HP tractor with larger tires and have skid steer quick attach on their front end loader. The YT235 comes with skid steer quick attach. According to what I have read, the difference in front end loader lift capacity between the YT235 and SA424 is only 100 LBS. I do not understand why Yanmar does not offer skid steer quick attach on the SA424. In my opinion they would sell more SA324 and SA424 tractors if they offered skid steer quick attach on the front end loader. It will probably be about one year before I purchase a tractor, but if the SA424 came with skid steer quick attach, I would not be looking at other tractor manufacturers, I would be buying a SA424.
I know I could buy/make a plate that would convert from the Yanmar quick attach to the skid steer quick attach but that is an extra cost and I am also loosing front end lift capacity because of both the weight of the plate and the distance/length of the front end loader has now increased which decreases lift.
Am I the only one who feels this way?

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #2  
Check this out!

willy

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #3  
Simply put "weight", I was told by a regional Yanmar guy at the Outdoors show in Harrisburg PA a few years ago. Yanmar would need to lower the published FEL lift capacity rating by a couple of pounds and thus lose the marketing wars.

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #4  
Wow, I didn't realize the SA324/424 doesn't come with skid-steer quick attach. Some of the statements in their advertising imply that it does, like this one attached below. So what exactly do they mean by "YANMAR quick attachment system"? And how long does it take to switch from, say, bucket to pallet forks? Thanks for bringing this up. I've been evaluating the SA324 vs. the new LS MT225S and I did not realize the difference wrt this feature.

Yanmar SA brochure p10.png

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #5  
It says "Yanmar" quick attach system. They must have their own so you have to buy their attachments. That would certainly be a deal breaker for me. That's why I would never buy a JD either.

On a side note; SSQA compatible attachment panels and latches are available. You just have to custom build the fixture to attach the latches to the tractor. That's what I did.

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #6  
I can confirm that the Yanmar quick attach system is unique to the SA series of Yanmar tractors. I had the bucket off of mine yesterday to add some grab hooks and support gussets. Attach/removal is quick, easy, and can be done in less than 60 seconds if everything lines up on the first go.

As I'm currently looking for more attachements (especially with no Yanmar dealer near me), a universal attachment system would be a giant advantage in the long run. I'm considering a conversion of some sort myself.

There are a number of options ranging from "fabricate an adapter yourself (from parts)" to just one off-the-shelf solution that I could find.
- Fabrication option: It is possible to purchase Yanmar-SA-specific brackets online as well as the required SSQA hardware. There would likely need to be modification all around to join the two properly. This solution would result in an Yanmar-to-SSQA adapter much like Williy's video shows.
- Off-the-shelf option: I found a company that manufactures a full conversion kit. From what I can see this is the best way to do it as it replaces the pin-on portion of the Yanmar quick attach system with a pin-on SSQA system. The downside side is, of course, the price. (Tach-All Quick Attach, Loader Attachments, ATI Corporation - Google for "ATI QA-YA5")

I suspect it would be cheaper for the first option, but the pin-on option would likely be more robust and integrate best with the tractor.

A third option (the one I personally am considering first for a conversion of my own) is to modify the factory Yanmar pin-on brackets with SSQA hardware. If you plan to go "all in" on SSQA from day one, the factory equipment is of little use to you so modifying it is the cheapest option and, in my opinion, closest to the "off-the-shelf" solution proposed above. I'm certain this option would adversely affect the loader warranty, though.

It sounds like you're already sold on the Yanmar SA series aside from the attachment mechanism. For what it's worth, I love my SA324 and use it all the time. It hasn't yet let me down and it's capabilities never cease to amaze. I also have a John Deere 4400 with 430 loader that, I'd say, is about a "size up" from the SA424. That tractor rarely gets used because the Yanmar is perfect for my day-to-day use cases.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #7  
And how long does it take to switch from, say, bucket to pallet forks?

It's not too bad. I switch between bucket and forks regularly on my 424. Lift up whatever's attached, tilt it slightly forward, then for each side pull a cotter pin and pull the big pin out. Then set the attachment on the ground and drive over to the other one and line up the top hooks. If you drop them on level ground it's no big deal to line it up. Then you put the pins back in. It takes a couple of minutes tops.

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #8  
This is all great info. Maybe I'll just fork out (pun intended) for the Yanmar pallet forks, and use the Yanmar system as intended. I'm guessing that saves a few pounds on the FEL, which was their reason for doing this on the subcompacts. I'm sure their reason was not to squeeze a thousand dollars out of me for the pallet forks.

Yes, I'm just about sold on the SA324. The other tractor I'm considering is the LS MT225S which looks pretty nice also. But I think the Yanmar dealer location might sway me. Just 3 miles away, down country roads that I could drive on the tractor, assuming it is drivable. LS is 40 miles away and I don't have a trailer.

Anyway, thanks! It's great when a forum really works. I'll report back when the deed is done.

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #9  
If you want that type of bucket attachment just get the YT235
give it a test drive I believe you will really enjoy using this
great tractor. Compare the two tractors and see the difference
if features. The B75 backhoe is really a great attachment a lot
stronger than what's on the SA324 or SA424. If you add the
skid steer attachment more weight drops lifting capacity and
then you have the cost.

wlly

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #10  
I thought seriously about the YT235. But the dealers seem to be out of everything >25 hp, and they don't know when they will get them. Tire shortages and other problems are affecting many brands, but 25 hp and below are available. Also, the cost difference between 25 and 35 hp is big, like 50% greater for Yanmar. Plus my wife needs to be comfortable with it. And when I remember how much good work we got out of our little 18 hp Yanmar 2wd grey-market tractor years ago, I'm thinking the SA324 will be a dream in comparison. And a dealer quoted me $14,750 after cash rebate and military discount for the SA324 w/FEL, so I'm having a hard time finding reasons not to go and grab it.