SA424 with skid steer quick attach

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #11  
Here's something to consider about the likely lowered lift rating if you convert to an SSQA setup on an SA324...

I just reviewed the loader specifications (LL2300) for the LS MT225S you mentioned. Speaking *strictly* from a lifting capacity perspective, converting an SA324 to SSQA (with whatever weight that adds) may actually make the two tractor loaders nearly equal (SA324: 1,199lbs versus MT225S: 1,067lbs [all weights at pivot pins]).

I'll readily admit that proximity to a Yanmar dealer (< 3 miles), a loader capacity of 1,199lbs, and knowing the Yanmar name from childhood (we had a 240d) were the driving factors for my choice.

However, the overall specifications on the LL2300 suggest it is an ever-so-slightly larger (and dare I say better?) loader. It lifts a little higher, digs a little deeper, has a touch higher breakout force, slightly better dump/rollback angles, etc. It also includes SSQA capabilities.

I know that I use the loader for most jobs I do around my property where the tractor is involved. Loader capabilities were at the tippy-top of my requirements list. That being said, the MT225S with the LL2300 loader looks to be a slightly more capable machine on paper. Heck, another advantage for the LS is that it even has a Yanmar motor!

You'll know more about how pricing stacks up and what works for your situation, but in the spirit of being unbiased and looking for the best overall value, I think the LS has its merits and deserves fair consideration. I have no regrets about my choice, but If I were in the market and had Yanmar and LS dealers near me... it would be a tough decision.

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #12  
My pallet forks are from Earth & Turf Attachments. They are a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Yanmar ones and fit the Yanmar QA system just like the bucket. I haven't used the Yanmar forks so I don't know if there are any functional differences, but the E&T unit has worked well for me.

Under $15k sounds like a great price to me. I paid over $25k for a 424 with backhoe last year. I'm sure I didn't get a great bargain but it was on the lot and the dealer is local & well-respected. I've been very happy with the tractor, the only drawbacks I see with it are the much smaller aftermarket and lack of online info vs Kubota or JD.

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #13  
Well, I bought a SA324 on Saturday. It'll be delivered in a couple of days. I'm reading through the operation manual and I've got some questions which I may post on the forum, if I can't find the answers there already.

sa324owner:

I first drove the LS MT225S before I went to the Yanmar dealer. It was pretty nice, but there were a couple of frustrating things. Like, the parking brake would pop off on it's own, at least half the time. And it was extraordinarily hard to shift the drive system into the desired range (low, medium, or high). I found that if I stopped fighting it, then touched the fwd or reverse pedal just slightly, and then stopped and reattempted to shift, it would usually work. Afterwards, the mechanic told me it was because it was brand new that it was doing that, and also that I need to be in idle to shift. I'm new to HST tractors so I wasn't sure what to think about that.

But the SA324 had no issues like that. Everything worked the way you would think it would. Somehow, the design struck me as a little more refined also, but I can't put my finger on why. The one thing I didn't like about the 324 was the groaning from the HST while driving. It seemed louder and more annoying than the LS, almost cringe-worthy. Also, stopping the tractor may have been slightly more abrupt, even when trying to be smooth on the pedals. The dealer rep (who owns a 424 of his own) said they all sound like that. I hope I can get used to it.

Overall I was happy with the Yanmar and I was surprised that the price came in about $1500 less than the LS. Considering the tractors are very similar, I would have guessed it would be the other way around. Also, having a Yanmar dealer only 3 miles from home was a major factor for me.

ultrameta:

I just ordered the pallet forks from Earth and Turf. They were about $300 less than the Yanmar forks, even after shipping. And the company was responsive and knowledgeable. Thanks for the tip! Between the forks and bucket I should have all I need, without converting to SSQA.

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #14  
The SA transmission is a little loud. Over time it has gotten quieter or I have gotten used to it. I believe that you have made a good decision in choosing the SA over the LS. Congrats on the tractor.

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #15  
Well, I bought a SA324 on Saturday. It'll be delivered in a couple of days. I'm reading through the operation manual and I've got some questions which I may post on the forum, if I can't find the answers there already.

sa324owner:

I first drove the LS MT225S before I went to the Yanmar dealer. It was pretty nice, but there were a couple of frustrating things. Like, the parking brake would pop off on it's own, at least half the time. And it was extraordinarily hard to shift the drive system into the desired range (low, medium, or high). I found that if I stopped fighting it, then touched the fwd or reverse pedal just slightly, and then stopped and reattempted to shift, it would usually work. Afterwards, the mechanic told me it was because it was brand new that it was doing that, and also that I need to be in idle to shift. I'm new to HST tractors so I wasn't sure what to think about that.

But the SA324 had no issues like that. Everything worked the way you would think it would. Somehow, the design struck me as a little more refined also, but I can't put my finger on why. The one thing I didn't like about the 324 was the groaning from the HST while driving. It seemed louder and more annoying than the LS, almost cringe-worthy. Also, stopping the tractor may have been slightly more abrupt, even when trying to be smooth on the pedals. The dealer rep (who owns a 424 of his own) said they all sound like that. I hope I can get used to it.

Overall I was happy with the Yanmar and I was surprised that the price came in about $1500 less than the LS. Considering the tractors are very similar, I would have guessed it would be the other way around. Also, having a Yanmar dealer only 3 miles from home was a major factor for me.

ultrameta:

I just ordered the pallet forks from Earth and Turf. They were about $300 less than the Yanmar forks, even after shipping. And the company was responsive and knowledgeable. Thanks for the tip! Between the forks and bucket I should have all I need, without converting to SSQA.
My 424 transmission is pretty quiet. Don't know why mine is different than most everyone else's but I'm glad it is!!

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #16  
Get a headset to knock out the noise
or one with a radio etc.
My is loud but I don't care it does what I
want! I like the way the tractor stops when
you take your foot off the forward pedal!

willy

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #17  
I took delivery of the tractor a few days ago. It took me about ten minutes to get over the HST noise!

NewSA324.jpg

/ SA424 with skid steer quick attach #19  
NewSA324.jpg
Actually... I have a question for you. What is that foot lever I've circled in the attached picture?

Having intimate knowledge of the differential lock linkage on these tractors, that's my off-the-cuff guess. If so, that sure beats the way they used to do it!