Safer Trailer?

/ Safer Trailer? #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
After I purchase my new tractor (Kubota M8540) I will quickly be looking for a trailer to transport the tractor. I would need something that could transport the tractor and a 7' rotary cutter (Woods 8400)safely. I was thinking along the lines of a gooseneck. I would estimate that the size of the deck would have to be at least 24' excluding the FEL.

Tractor length=148" (excluding FEL).
Tractor weight=5400#
Mower length=128"
Mower weight=1600#

* Also would have to account for weight of FEL, bucket, fuel, fluids, and fluid in tires.

Please don't ask me about what type of vehicle would be used to haul this trailer. That would be irrelevant. But just to let you know, I will likely have acquired a Dodge Ram 3500 1-ton when the time comes.

Would it be safer to get a trailer with a length that would require the FEL to be lifted up over the gooseneck hitch for transport or get a longer trailer that would allow the FEL to be placed on the deck? It's a question of shorter trailer with a higher center-of-gravity versus a longer trailer with a lower COG I suppose.

/ Safer Trailer? #2  
don't ask me about what type of vehicle would be used to haul this trailer. That would be irrelevant

Nope, it might be or not be a lot of things, but it's definitely not irrelevant.;)

Would it be safer to get a trailer with a length that would require the FEL to be lifted up over the gooseneck hitch for transport or get a longer trailer that would allow the FEL to be placed on the deck? It's a question of shorter trailer with a higher center-of-gravity versus a longer trailer with a lower COG I suppose.

Now we're getting closer to something that's irrelevant.:D It depends on such things as the type of vehicle doing the towing, how much pin weight there is, which can vary with the axle placement under the trailer; i.e., how far forward or back are the axles. How fast are you going to drive, how tight are the turns you have to make. Operator skill and experience are the major safety factors. Naturally, generally speaking, the lower the center of gravity, the more stable. A longer trailer also permits a little more leeway in adjusting the pin weight by moving the load (tractor) forward or backward a bit.

/ Safer Trailer?
Bird said:
Nope, it might be or not be a lot of things, but it's definitely not irrelevant.;)

Geez Bird. Of all people I didn't expect you to smack me like that!:D I was just curious about general terms. You know, what length of trailer to purchase. Whether get a longer trailer so that the FEL could rest on the deck behind the hitch or a shorter trailer that would require the loader to be raised. I felt that a longer trailer would be less safe than a shorter one. On the other hand the shorter trailer would require the load to be placed with a higher COG. The roads would be country highways and interstate.

/ Safer Trailer? #4  
Chuck, actually I think you have a pretty good grasp of the situation. Longer trailers are more dangerous on turns, more likely to run over curbs, or clip other vehicles. A higher center of gravity is more dangerous if you turn at too high a speed, or in an emergency evasive maneuver, but is not generally a big concern for that type of rig. And for most people, myself included, it's easier to back a little longer trailer than a real short one. The short ones tend to turn too far too fast when backing. However, in your case, either trailer you get is probably going to be long enough to not worry about that. Personally, if it were me, and I were buying a used trailer, it might depend on which one I could find at the best deal. Either one should work just fine. But if you have any tight turns, limited storage space, need to load or unload in tight places, the shorter trailer is going to be your best bet.

/ Safer Trailer? #5  
Hi Chuck,

I think I would go with a little longer GN trailer than the 24 footer you mentioned...if you plan to get a loader for your tractor, (you might as well). I am guessing that you are looking at a tractor weight with loader and mower of about 9000 lbs or so. That's a 14000 GVWR trailer. Also, you need to add your future truck's weight and try to stay under 26000 lbs...if you want to avoid having to get a CDL license. With a little longer trailer, you could also have more room to move your tractor forward or back to balance your trailer load.

It's kind of a tough question, since there are a lot of variables. One other thought...maybe the trailer place you buy from will let you load your tractor on a couple trailers at your place, before you buy. Just load...since driving around is a real liability for the dealer. That's good customer relations...kinda like test driving cars at a car dealer. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

/ Safer Trailer? #6  
With tractor, FEL, mower, wheel weights or filled tires, your looking at and I'm guessing here 11-12K.
You will have to account for trailer weight also.
I would go longer than 24' also with your tractor.