Safety chain ideas needed

/ Safety chain ideas needed #1  

Sean2202

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L305DT
Looking to add a safety chain to my PJ dump trailer tractor combo. I have the trailer hooked to the flex point #FPHS 3 point hitch which makes it easy to hook up and drop the trailer easy from the cab. I only use this setup on my property.

I am looking for ideas on how a safety chain could be safely and easily used with this system. The chains on the dump trailer are too short and would keep those for on road applications with the truck. I am also looking for a good place to buy chain and hooks and not some Chinese garbage.

Thanks for any input
Sean

Attachments

• B34EDC72-D46A-4C14-92E6-684DCA195FDE.jpeg
    B34EDC72-D46A-4C14-92E6-684DCA195FDE.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 135
   / Safety chain ideas needed #2  
Numerous places to get safty chains from;
from NAPA or tractor supply to e' trailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tr...PkeIyfp7qLEGpY33qnIYpHB2QOV89InMaApfhEALw_wcB

One thing that I would be more concerned about would be the possibility of the trailer tongue lifting up on the drawbar assemble that you have.
I would rig a chain from the lift arms down to a solid location on the lower tractor frame to prevent the hitch from raising higher then the hydraulics can lift it.
hitch 3.jpg

hitch 4.jpg

the second picture show my stop chains for my trailer hitch.

/ Safety chain ideas needed #4  
Replace two of the pintle hook mounting bolts with eye bolts or eye nuts. Hook your road safety chains to them.

eyebolt.jpg

Bruce

/ Safety chain ideas needed #5  
+1 on the tractor supply chain options. They have good chain if you are willing to pay for it. They will also cut it to length for free, minimum 1 ft.

/ Safety chain ideas needed #6  
I agree with Lou on chaining down your trailer hitch to the drawbar. Even if you're not pulling around that dump trailer loaded with any weight, the trailer by itself can toss it's head freely if you're just using the 3pt trailer hitch alone.

/ Safety chain ideas needed #7  
^^^same....chain to the drawbar.

/ Safety chain ideas needed #8  
I never use chains on my property. They are required for the "in-case" notion a towed item comes off the hitch on roads. On property no need for chains unless one goes up or down steep hills or has long runs and drives very fast. If something of mine comes loose, it would just fall off the hitch and stop.

/ Safety chain ideas needed #9  
I never use chains on my property. They are required for the "in-case" notion a towed item comes off the hitch on roads. On property no need for chains unless one goes up or down steep hills or has long runs and drives very fast. If something of mine comes loose, it would just fall off the hitch and stop.
You're thinking of the trailer safety chains. The OP is asking about a chain to keep the 3pt from being forced up by the trailer.

/ Safety chain ideas needed #10  
The tongue on my farm wagon goes to the hitch on my tractor draw bar. I use a single chain to prevent "run away" in case this system fails.

No need for a 3-point hitch system. The tongue on my farm wagon is quite long. It is hinged to move up/down. With the steerable front wheels it can be a challenge backing up.

Last edited: